Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Toto Toilets No Longer Flushing Properly

Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
edited September 2022 in Plumbing
I’ve recently had a rash of phone calls from customers who have Toto toilets that no longer flush efficiently. The toilets don’t suction out; the bowls just fill with water and slowly the water level goes down. 
One inquisitive customer reached into the trap-way, felt a buildup of some kind of deposit and was able to chip it off. My thought was urine salt that builds up and is especially prone to forming with habits of not flushing until it’s necessary as a water saving measure. 
Today was another instance. One of my neighbors wants to change their Toto because it no longer flushes properly; I inspected the trap-way and sure enough, there’s a buildup of material just inside. 
The location is hard to get to with a tool and I’m wondering if I can remove the water from the trap and fill with CLR and let it sit for a few hours to loosen and eventually remove the buildup.  
I called Toto tech. support and they had never heard of the problem and he suggested CLR full strength for cleaning stains and possibly removing the salt blockage. 
Any insights?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Tech support never having heard of an issue.

There's a surprise.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesGWEBEBRATT-Edmattmia2
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited September 2022
    hmmm!

Alan (California Radiant) ForbesLS123
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @ChrisJ

That means for sure it happens on a daily basis
    LS123mattmia2
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Yes this is a real "thing." I have an Am. Standard Cadet. Every 5 years or so, I have that same build-up in the toilet's flush way. I empty the bowl COMPLETELY (sponge) and then fill just the trap with "Sizzle" which I believe is muriatic (or dilute hydrochloric) acid. It "sizzles" and fumes and foams! And...it completely cleans out the trap of any adhering build-up. The toilet then flushes...as if it were new.
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
     We use Rydlyme.  It's safe & effective!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I’d try Sizzle
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Interesting .... Never any issue with them and mine are in rentals.

Maybe water quality ... or the owners need a urine test
    JakeCK
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Would any of these WC's been used by those who follow the motto: If it is yellow....let it mellow......if brown...flush it down.

Knew of a 3" DWV copper line, for a WC, rotting out on the bottom from this water conservation method.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited September 2022
    I have a friend telling me about another product, EdFred’s Cling’N’Clean. He used to be the Toto rep. out West here, so I trust him.

I never thought I’d become so well versed in cleaning products. 
    So many products, so little time. 
    Maybe water quality ... or the owners need a urine test
    Our water quality is pretty good here. Very low in dissolved solids. 
    As far as suggesting a urine test, I might get some long, furtive sideways glances as the customer wonders if he’s in his doctor’s office or in his bathroom. I’ve seen that when I suggest eating more roughage. 
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    I second the idea that these people need to visit the doctor...

I've heard of this with public urinals but a regular toilet?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    it it’s all the California wine consumption🥳
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    edited September 2022
    I'm a bit confused how it could even be remotely related to someone's urine if it's not expected to sit in there very long. It's an issue with urinals due to people not flushing and or poor flush quality. No?

If it's only in there for a short period and the trap is occupied by water 99% of the time..........

I vote improper use of fixture (not flushing).

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Mellowing the yellow.

Really attacks your nose if you disturb it.
    GGross
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    Ejector hole can also become obstructed. Some warm water in tank might help.
    Often a brush can clean out build up.
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    Hello,
    1.28 from 4 or 5 gpf... that has saved a lot of water for me.... if you have well water.... no issues with flushing and been working well for years... Here is some info from epa... https://www.epa.gov/watersense/residential-toilets
    Unless I have my teen age kid who eat alot thus far hasn't complained..
    If he did... I would have a say and ask him to eat more fiber :smiley: vegs and fruits!! It always seems to work with flushing.... Unless it may be our former president that clogs toilets with flushing National Security documents :)
    Best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • ChrisJ
    LS123 said:

Hello,
    1.28 from 4 or 5 gpf... that has saved a lot of water for me.... if you have well water.... no issues with flushing and been working well for years... Here is some info from epa... https://www.epa.gov/watersense/residential-toilets
    Unless I have my teen age kid who eat alot thus far hasn't complained..
    If he did... I would have a say and ask him to eat more fiber :smiley: vegs and fruits!! It always seems to work with flushing.... Unless it may be our former president that clogs toilets with flushing National Security documents :)
    Best!

Luckily I don't think I need an EPA website to tell me how much water is saved between a 1.6 and a 5 gal per flush toilet. :p

LS123
  • LS123
    Sorry... Joke aside .... If you have checked the internal components, if the are in working order, then you should be getting the toilet to flush at 1.28 gpf as these toilets been tested for a while (years) and been in production for a while... when toilets were replaced, the pipes that connected to the toilets had to be cleaned for years of built up stuff in them.
    I am wondering if the toilet that dont flush may have some kind of built up or blockage.... it seems to me based on experience... toilets on second and third floor seems to work better when flushing at 1.28 gpf than first floor. I am assuming gravity helps second and 3 rd floor....
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    @ChrisJ .. you are a pro and you dont need EPA docs... links... totally understand...

Links etc was there for general info.... not specifically for you.... Having lived on city water in CT and no worries about water... living off a water well has help me understand and conserve lot more...Best!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • ChrisJ
    LS123 said:

@ChrisJ .. you are a pro and you dont need EPA docs... links... totally understand...

Links etc was there for general info.... not specifically for you.... Having lived on city water in CT and no worries about water... living off a water well has help me understand and conserve lot more...Best!

While I like to think I'm an expert at using a toilet these days I don't think I've reached pro status yet. :D
    LS123
  • LS123
    @ChrisJ ... :smiley: ....u know you are a pro :smiley: I understand sometimes we all would like be not recognized for our abilities... you are being modest... you can run ... but you cant hide from being a significantly contributing member of the forum...
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    ChrisJ
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    maybe the municipality has somehow let the water quality change?

years ago I had a modern single handle delta t-s valve slow up on me. I'm like 'wow, that's a first'. It happened after i changed a water heater, and i ran the air though the Delta

>>that was the last time i ever did that! I had done this hundreds of times in the previous two decades

Anyway, I ran some Clobber through the valve with a trans pump, i think 50/50, i don't recall at this point. I used a bike tube to get the solution from the valve body back to the bucket. presto--it worked. The one and only time i have even seen this. it happened to be my own apartment-- the tenant eventually moved, which allowed me the time to scratch my head and deal with it.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    LS123
  • LS123

Agreed @GW ...
    To be clear for the forum members, when I was referring to drain pipes and them building up sludge over the years and, possible clogs in the drain pipes, if 1.28 gpf not seems to work as designed...
    Thank you!
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    @LS123 ok cool, not sure if the common man runs Sulfuric Acid through their plumbing valves, but I just do whatever i do most of the time. Yes, it's main intent is drain lines.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    LS123
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I wonder if this is corrosion inhibitors added to the water to reduce the leaching of lead and copper building up in the passages.

Probably any acid will remove it, some may take longer than others, some may damage the porcelain.

ChrisJ said:

Luckily I don't think I need an EPA website to tell me how much water is saved between a 1.6 and a 5 gal per flush toilet. :p

Even very old toilets with 5 gal tanks don't usually completely empty the tank during a normal flush, so those did not use as much water as the tank held.
    LS123