Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ecoer heat pump error code

Good morning,
we recently installed 3 ecoer heat pump air to air systems and they have locked out on E0 code about five times now, the rep is saying its a power fluctuation issue, would a surge protector help resolve this, the units are on the east coast right on the water were it is quite windy at times.
thanks

Comments

• 109A_5
    109A_5 Member Posts: 1,377
    @TicTac, An MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) style surge protector may only help with the Over-Voltage or Over-current (if caused by a Over-Voltage event) type situations. An MOV style surge protector probably will not be beneficial with utility Voltage dips or brownouts. It would help to know what the exact C0~CA code(s) that are causing the E0 code, since not all codes seem utility power related. I would check for codes more often if possible.
    TicTac said:

they have locked out on E0 code about five times now

All three units at the same time ? If so it may be a power utility problem of Voltage dips or brownouts. Do the lights flicker when it is windy ? More evasive power conditioning on your part can get expensive.

National - U.S. Gas Boiler 45+ Years Old
    Steam 300 SQ. FT. - EDR 347
    One Pipe System
  • woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    An Ecoer customer emerges! Hope to learn more about your experience. Most all the vendors on Cape Cod are pushing Ecoer these days. Cheers
  • TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 3
    @109A_5
    where do I find the CO codes you have in the picture?
  • 109A_5
    edited August 2022
    @TicTac, Since you did not supply and model information, I can't be totally certain this manual is for your specific units, but it seemed informative. The picture is from Page 56.

"E0: System locks up when C0~CA has occurred three times in 60 Minutes"

Page 32
    3.2 Error codes List
    Past error codes can be spot checked by BS3 button, and seen from Ecoer Smart Service Pro App.

I would think the same display that the E0 code shows up. Apparently the C codes preceded the E0 code. After a certain amount of C codes accumulate it switches to an E0 code and the unit shuts down.

https://www.ecoer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/01-ESI-Ultra-SM-20190701.pdf

One Pipe System
  • TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2022
    Ended up being a CA over voltage lock out which is not listed in the book, Ecoer rep suggested buck boost transformer,
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

An Ecoer customer emerges! Hope to learn more about your experience. Most all the vendors on Cape Cod are pushing Ecoer these days. Cheers

So, what make them so unique?

I read the advertising, same overworked claims how their units are so much superior then all the rest!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Are these units powered, at least in part, by 120 volts? If you are getting an overvoltage code, before I start getting real fancy I'd take a look in your own structure and make sure that the neutral really is adequately bonded to the ground at your main switchboard, and that all your wiring is secrue -- including all the neutrals. One of the more insidious ways to get an overvoltage error is a weak or faulty neutral connection.

Otherwise, it may be a problem with the local power grid. This is going to become much more common; grid voltage fluctuations, both over and under, will be considerably more normal. Trouble is that they are unpredictable (a buck boost transformer, for instance, will help but only if the grid is consistently over voltage, not if it fluctuates). If the equipment is that sensitive, you may need to power it with a full on power conditioner capable of producing 120/240 regardless of the incoming voltage.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    pecmsg
  • 109A_5
    Hello @TicTac,
    OK, I'm a bit confused with the Code, in the chart I found C4 is a Zero Speed Fault. I would think a software engineer would not be that inconsistent with like equipment, who knows.

@Jamie Hall is correct about the neutral going back to the utility's transformer. It provides voltage stability when each half of the utility's transformer is not equality loaded (assuming a typical 120 / 240 VAC service). Assuming your Ecoer is a 120 VAC device, I would focus there until proven to be not the problem. If wind seems to aggravate the situation, the neutral conductor of the aerial power service cable to the house could be loose, at the pole or at the house.

If it is an actual over-voltage situation NOT caused by a defect with the neutral wiring going back to the utility's transformer, a MOV type surge suppressor may help 'clamp' or 'limit' the over-voltage events. If you try a MOV type device make sure it is in a metal box or enclosure. With age they break down and cause excessive heat and can cause fires.

To me a buck boost transformer seems silly. A Sola/Hevi-Duty Constant Voltage Transformer would be a more appropriate device. However they are expensive and use a lot of energy whether they are cleaning up your power quality issues or not. You typically find them it commercial or industrial situations where poor power quality can be self inflicted by other equipment or the utility refuses to repair their issues.

A double conversion UPS is a another strategy but then you have battery issues to deal with.

One Pipe System