Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator

Options
1235»

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    Are the pipe radiators in the bathrooms that smell only the one at the top with the vent or is it lower apartments too?

Did someone already link to the story about the super that was pissing in the boiler?
  • radiostar
    radiostar Member Posts: 74
    Options
    GGross said:
    tbh I read through all this and I'm still a bit confused. Did the apartment ever smell good? How the heck has your brain not just forced the smell to not register? (like a smoker can't smell their own smoke) Any chance you could just scam a friend into switching apartments with you so you can get out of there? Years! Years and it stinks the whole time, I couldn't do it. Also I would like to thank you for updating after all this time, it's quite the read but I feel like it should go on a "Best of the Wall" or something. Maybe if there is ever a conclusion it will be honored as such. 

Lol it only stinks when that one radiator comes on so it stays off or I'd die.
  • radiostar
    radiostar Member Posts: 74
    Options
    mattmia2 said:
    Are the pipe radiators in the bathrooms that smell only the one at the top with the vent or is it lower apartments too? Did someone already link to the story about the super that was pissing in the boiler?
    Dunno there is only one pipe in all the bathrooms in the building it goes from ceiling to floor mine doesn't smell but a neighbors does and her radiator. Others it's just radiators or a combo so far I know 7 apts got issues. And they all randomly located apart from each other.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hello, I haven't re-read the whole thread, but don't remember if testing for the odor was ever mentioned. I find this place: https://indoorscience.com/what-we-do/indoor-air-quality/odor/ and there are probably others that might be able to figure out just what the odor is. Knowing that will go a long way towards being able to fix it.

Yours, Larry
    mattmia2Dave Carpentier
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 587
    Options

... others that might be able to figure out just what the odor is. Knowing that will go a long way towards being able to fix it.

Considering no one knows if its a nuisance smell or if its possibly dangerous, it sounds like an indoor air quality test would be prudent. If it's an experienced person, they might have a good idea of what to verify via test as soon as they smell it. If the cost is an issue, perhaps contact the other tenants that have noticed the smell to see if they would like to split the cost and then you will share the results.

30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    Larry Weingartenmattmia2pecmsg
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 973
    Options
    maybe a mouse crawl into the pipe when the reno was performed. they get anywhere