Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for motorized angle radiator valves.

The Steam Whisperer
The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
edited July 2022 in Strictly Steam
I have a project with recessed radiator/ convectors and valves that are all motorized for zoning. They don't want TRV's. Since the motors are in the enclosures, they have to deal with high ambient temperatures, so the wax motors used by Danfoss and Tunstall are out. I am shooting for simple 24 v on/off motors.
The old valves have the big square Honeywell motors.
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited July 2022
    Why not just a 24 volt zone valve? Taco, Caleffi...............

Edit: Sorry, I just saw where you said "angle valve".
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    Are those rated for steam? It looks like Macon makes some actuators that are motorized but it looked like they were 0-10v modulating. Maybe honeywell still makes the valves that are on there.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    edited July 2022
    Honeywell VP512 is a straight or angle valve rated for water or steam. Don't know what pipe size you need or how many lbs of steam.

The VP512 has a pneumatic actuator but you can get it with an electric actuator.

Or you can use steam rated ball valves with an actuator but that won't be an angle valve. If it has to be an angle valve it will have to be a globe

Probably not an off the shelf item will have to be ordered.

Best bet is to call someone like Dodge Engineering and controls or Kele Associates
  • The Steam Whisperer
    I keep on running into a maximum ambient temp of 122F on the actuators. Just how hot is the air from convectors or the enclosure? Erie steam zone valves are rated to 169F ambient. I'll have to give Kele a call?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • mattmia2
    The mva series actuators here are rated for over 200 degrees but lok like they are 0-10v:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/MaconControls-MAC-N10857-Brochure.pdf
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Electronic or electric steam actuators are supposed to be mounted at a 45-degree angle with the horizontal pipe they are mounted on. This keeps (supposedly) heat from rising straight up and affecting the actuator. I don't know if this applies to Pneumatic actuators.

Don't know how you could do this with an angle valve if the vertical pipe drops straight down.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    mattmia2 said:

The mva series actuators here are rated for over 200 degrees but lok like they are 0-10v:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/MaconControls-MAC-N10857-Brochure.pdf

I looked at those, but to controlled medium is up to 203F, Max ambient is 122F.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Absolutely no place else it can be installed, Basement, below the rad with access door?
  • The Steam Whisperer
    If we replace the angle valve with angle valve, it has to be at the radiator. I have zone valves that are rated to 169F ambient I could use if I repipe it all.
  • mattmia2
    What about a straight valve at the bottom of the riser where the cabinet is cool?
  • The Steam Whisperer
    I think I am just going to put in an insulated divider (duct board) to keep the valve cool. Seems to be the simplest solution since high ambient valve operators don't seem to be available for angle valves.
    mattmia2
  • Lyle {pheloa} Carter
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter Member Posts: 52
    A three-way Honeywell zone valve may work for your purposes. It is fed in through the bottom, and then exits through the sides A and B ports. By plugging off one of the ports you turn it into either a normally open or a normally closed 24 volt angle type zone valve. According to honeywell's ambient temperature chart it can handle an ambient temperature up to 200° based on the incoming heating medium.