Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this the correct tee to install a temperature gauge on a copper manifold?

newtonkid88
newtonkid88 Member Posts: 102
edited July 2022 in Radiant Heating
Tee: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Everflow-CCFT1112-NL-1-x-1-x-1-2-C-x-C-x-F-Cast-Brass-Tee-Lead-Free

Temp Gauge:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Resideo-GT162-1-2-NPT-Connection-Thermometer-w-2-1-2-Dial-Size

This is for 1” hePex going into 1” copper manifold. I will have to solder a Propex fitting on one end of the tee.

For baseboard heat. Any other gauges or bells and whistles you recommend? Air bleeder?

Thanks

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    That looks good. But, what @Ironman says above is quite right. Getting a pre-made manifold is a better way to go.
  • newtonkid88
    edited July 2022
    Ironman said:
    That should work, but when you compare a bare copper manifold to to a pre-assembled one with flow setters, isolation valves, purge and drain valves, you’ll spend more time and money trying to make your own. And usually have less functionality.
    For some reason, the cost of bare copper pipe purchased at Home Depot will cost more than a bare copper MANIFOLD. I was still planning to solder my own bare manifold because the reviews for premade bare copper manifolds were bad… leaks.

Any thoughts on the inverted manifolds?

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    With a homemade manifold you want to have isolation valves, for purging, adjusting, trouble shooting. You will need a Pex adapter on all the ports also

pre-made have these components plus flow indicators, temperature gauges and usually air vents, either auto or manual. I think once you price all that, the pre built are a better options

As for that tee, temperature gauges usually hand a probe, so a standard 1x1/2 tee with a fip adapter allows you to adjust the branch length to accept the gauge
    Done prefer the gauge in a well, so you need to have that on hand also. Strap on digital gauges are not a bad option, they are as accurate and fast as well type

Azel makes a nice digital gauge that reads supply and return, also shows delta T. Eliminate the tees altogether

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • newtonkid88
    edited July 2022
    hot_rod said:
    With a homemade manifold you want to have isolation valves, for purging, adjusting, trouble shooting. You will need a Pex adapter on all the ports also

pre-made have these components plus flow indicators, temperature gauges and usually air vents, either auto or manual. I think once you price all that, the pre built are a better options

As for that tee, temperature gauges usually hand a probe, so a standard 1x1/2 tee with a fip adapter allows you to adjust the branch length to accept the gauge
    Done prefer the gauge in a well, so you need to have that on hand also. Strap on digital gauges are not a bad option, they are as accurate and fast as well type

Azel makes a nice digital gauge that reads supply and return, also shows delta T. Eliminate the tees altogether

I am now leaning towards the Caleffi manifolds. Is there a way to install two of them in series?… for future additions. I see there’s the air bleeder/purge thing at one end of it.

I plan on getting the inverted models. Is there instructions on cleaning the flowmeters when they get debris in there?
  • hot_rod
    Just put a tee at the first one and run down to the next manifold. No need to actually flow thru the first to the second.

yes the flow meters can be removed, but not disassembled to clean out the plastic view part. Ideally you can clean the system well, add a conditioner and keep the flow meters from getting rust colored. They are mainly used for start up balance and as an indicator that all loops are flowing
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • newtonkid88
    hot_rod said:
    Just put a tee at the first one and run down to the next manifold. No need to actually flow thru the first to the second.

yes the flow meters can be removed, but not disassembled to clean out the plastic view part. Ideally you can clean the system well, add a conditioner and keep the flow meters from getting rust colored. They are mainly used for start up balance and as an indicator that all loops are flowing
    So the two manifolds would be in parallel with each other? 1” from the boiler, then 1”x1”x1” tee to the two manifolds? I’d like both manifolds to be on the same zone. I won’t be zoning any of the outlets. 
  • hot_rod
    Yes, in parallel so they both get the same supply temperature. 1" to the first, branch off to the second with 3/4.

So a 1X 3/4 tee, 1" straight through, 3/4 on the branch to feed the second manifold.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • newtonkid88
    Thank you hot rod. I noticed Caleffi doesnt have a 3/4" supply manifold so I'm assuming the 1" manifold would be fine, just need a reducer.

Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    1" male X 3/4 pex adapters. Find them at the box stores even, around 6 bucks at HD.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA