Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for software to help with drawing piping diagrams

GGross
GGross Member Posts: 1,022
I do most of my design work with computers, but I still hand draw all my piping diagrams. these are presented to contractor customers and could be much better and more professional looking. The only one I have tried so far is hydrosketch and the free trial has not convinced me to purchase. This is for professional use, recommendations in any price range are welcome.

Comments

• If I'm not mistaken, all the drawings in Caleffi's idronics journals use Hydrosketch. What don't you like about it?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I use HydroSketch almost daily. It took a little while to get used to, but I’ve got it down now. The drawings I provide from HS are very professional. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    There’s also Visio, Sketch-Up, and Taco’s program. 
    Steve Minnich
    GGross
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    The drawings in idronics are done by Siggy in in AutoCad.

All the Caleffi stencils are available for free and work in Visio.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • Tinman
    hot_rod said:
    The drawings in idronics are done by Siggy in in AutoCad. All the Caleffi stencils are available for free and work in Visio.
    Have you used AutoCad? 
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod

hot_rod said:

The drawings in idronics are done by Siggy in in AutoCad.

All the Caleffi stencils are available for free and work in Visio.

Have you used AutoCad? 

I have not, it is a fairly expensive program, beyond my pay grade also. I think our design engineer in Milwaukee has it, but only a one user version. He sure doesn't need me playing around in the program :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Tinman
    I was just curious. I’m happy with Siggy’s software but have been playing around with Visio every now and then. 
    Steve Minnich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I used to use Visio and liked it once I got used to it (I am far from an expert in it)

I used it mostly for shop drawings

Sheet metal fittings, brackets etc
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Been hearing bad things about AutoCad for decades.
  • hot_rod
    jumper said:

Bad, as in?? It's been around for about 50 years, still seems to be the go to program for designers worldwide. Is there any program that doesn't have glitches, idiosyncrasies?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    GGross
  • GGross
    I think I will look into Visio. Thanks for everyone's recommendations
  • Tinman
    One thing that I really like about Visio is that it’s easy to import OEM equipment and components. It makes for a better presentation when you provide a drawing that’s specific to the project. 
    Steve Minnich
    GGross
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    AutoCAD. Great company? Not really. I purchased one MEP seat for $5K, years ago. Suddenly, the license had expired. Renewal is another $5K. Really?
    CLamb
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    hot_rod said:

jumper said:

Bad, as in?? It's been around for about 50 years, still seems to be the go to program for designers worldwide. Is there any program that doesn't have glitches, idiosyncrasies?
    So bad that some used different software to "drive" AutoCad to produce drawings required by authorities. Company did some effective salesmanship. When not required people in drafting business avoided that firm's clutches.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    AutoCAD isn't a company it's a software made by Autodesk and I use it almost every day.

I spend most of my time in Fusion360 which is also made by Autodesk.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GGross
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Autocad is very powerful but something you have to use a lot to make learning to use it worth it. Visio is much more intuitive for occasional use. Google's drawing program and Libre Office's drawing programs are also ok for occasional use.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    edited June 2022
    I'm sorry I've spent the whole day sick and miserable.  I should've been clearer in my response.

I use AutoCAD and Fusion360 but I do not do plumbing.   I do a lot of shop drawings as well as 3d modeling, designing etc.    I'm not sure what's an easy tool for plumbing / HVAC.    I can easily model pipes, valves etc in Fusion but I'm not so sure that's the route someone should take just doing that.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • GGross
    @mattmia2

What is the google drawing tool called? Might be worth a try as well
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    It is just called "Google Drawings". It is one of the google tools that is part of a google account like google sheets or google docs. I haven't tried to import Visio shapes, I have only used it for simple block diagrams but it is intended to compete with Visio and I wouldn't be surprised if it can import Visio shape libraries.