Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why is Neighbor's A/C making Cicada and A-10 "Brtt" sounds?

Apologies, I'm a hydronic guy. I did work on A/C units like 20 years ago, but forgot everything.

My Neighbor has an outdoor A/C unit which every 2-3 minutes makes a loud hissing Cicada-like sound for 30 seconds followed by a loud "brrrrrrt" sound like from an A-10 cannon for a few seconds. Very regularly. Like clockwork.

Is this a common problem? Honestly, I can't believe his A/C is still working...it sounds like the outdoor compressor is killing itself.

What's happening?!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    Is the condenser fan running
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    mattmia2
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    what does a cicada sound like???
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited June 2022
    pedmec said:

what does a cicada sound like???

Sounds like @Steamback's neighbors A/C unit

Dah!

almost like a cricket but different.

Here is a video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cprkGk_KW0o

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ChrisJ
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Cicada could sound like a high pressure relief valve opening and then the "brrrr" sound the valve closing and compressor continuing to run.
    It may die soon.
    ratioSTEVEusaPA
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    And like the Cicada, your neighbors air conditioner may be ready to mate with a Female A/C. The opposite sex of an A/C unit. The reverse cycle A/C

AKA Heatpump

And just like the Cicada, after the A/C finishes making that noise and finds a mate, the unit will just die.

Isn't nature just great!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    JUGHNE said:
    Cicada could sound like a high pressure relief valve opening and then the "brrrr" sound the valve closing and compressor continuing to run. It may die soon.
    That's why my first thought was that condenser fan.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The Cicada noise could be a vibration or rusty motor shaft, the unit not level. The A-10 could be the contactor chattering.