Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Convector help!

Emcfadde
Emcfadde Member Posts: 16
Hello everyone! We are in the middle of a bathroom remodel. We are trying to figure out how to protect the convector (picture attached). There was a previous metal sheet but we had to cut that to replace the vent a few months ago before the remodel (picture attached) Now that we are remodeling we need something to protect the convector and the walls. Should we try to get another metal sheet made? Ours is old school so the cover is in the middle of the wall (picture attached). Any help would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    I'd take out that damaged sheet metal and create a nice new one to fit. May take some creative trimming.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Take some pictures and measurements any good sheet metal shop can help you out
  • mrfoster
    mrfoster Member Posts: 1
    you may be better off replacing that with a new recessed cabinet and element. beacon-morris ha a good wesite to guide you.
    Westfield, MA 01085
    (413) 562-5423
    Fax: (413) 572-3764
    www.beacon-morris.com....That being said a sheet metal shop can make you a replacement cover. make sure you put somthing behind it to reflect the heat into the room and not let it be snow melting for the outside of the home. Clean it up well and get all the dirt out of it if you do reuse it and make sure you have a correct vent for a radiator. What you have there now looks like a main vent. Heating Help does offer a couple books on steam and I think one is geared toward home owners.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I think you could make the replacement out of plywood too. As long as it directs the air through the convector it doesn't have to be metal.
  • Emcfadde
    Thanks for all the advice! Now what would I need to put behind the convector? As whatever is currently there is damaged. I can’t quite tell what that is. Also, what would work as a reflector? I am hoping sheet metal would work. I’m worried about the walls. Before we fixed the vent with a new one, it was so much steam it messed up the paint. I’m worried it will do that to the dry wall that will be going in
  • Emcfadde
    mattmia2 said:
    I think you could make the replacement out of plywood too. As long as it directs the air through the convector it doesn't have to be metal.
    Do you have any idea what that black backing is?
  • mattmia2
    homosote, particle board, celotex, asbestos paper board. what does it look like?
  • Emcfadde
    mattmia2 said:
    homosote, particle board, celotex, asbestos paper board. what does it look like?
    Thanks! It’s hardy board! Took a sample to Home Depot and found a match. Going to replace it and reflective insulation and get a new metal sheet done
  • mattmia2
    If it is "hardieboard" it is probably transite, asbestos cement. Hardiebord is a modern non-asbestos version.
    kcopp
  • Emcfadde
    mattmia2 said:
    If it is "hardieboard" it is probably transite, asbestos cement. Hardiebord is a modern non-asbestos version.
    Ah okay. Got it. Is that safe do you know to put behind the convector? I tried calling a few boiler companies but they can’t help me :(
  • mattmia2
    edited June 2022
    hardieboard/hardiebacker is fine. the stuff from 80 years ago that is asbestos cement is not if you disturb it or break it.

Is what is there now hard like hardiebacker/durrock? It looks more like some sort of a paper product. You should still have it tested before you disturb it.
  • Emcfadde
    Any thoughts on how to protect the wall?? We are going to putting up drywall but I don’t want to ruin it with the heat coming off. How should we seal it off?? Could we do the sheet metal and then drywall? Is that enough?
  • mattmia2
    The heat shouldn't damage decent quality paint. You may get staining from the dust in the air moving through it. Keep the vent in good condition and everything otherwise leak free, if it is bad the moisture from the escaping steam will damage things.
  • Emcfadde
    mattmia2 said:
    The heat shouldn't damage decent quality paint. You may get staining from the dust in the air moving through it. Keep the vent in good condition and everything otherwise leak free, if it is bad the moisture from the escaping steam will damage things.
    Alright thanks for all your help so far. So it was tempered hardboard which we have replaced. So final question is we are ready to seal it up. we are going to put up a piece of sheet metal first. Then I was thinking I would put up cement board as I am worried about moisture is that a better option than drywall? 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    A local tin shop could make a bent piece of Stainless Steel to deflect the heat out. 1/4” foam board between it and the wall for insulation.