Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham Alta Combi Experience?

PilotPat24
PilotPat24 Member Posts: 35
Hello,

Has anyone has any experience with the Burnham Alta Combi Boilers? I have a house with Hydronic and I am looking to convert from Oil to Gas.

Thanks,

Pat

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,896
    Being a service tech ....Bosch
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • In_New_England
    In_New_England Member Posts: 96
    Nobody has responded to you, and I'm not knowledgeable, but what I've read here is to go with what your chosen contractor suggests, since that is the install they have been trained on.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 12,133
    Lochinvar gets good comments from many and we don't seem to get many bad reports about them.
  • PilotPat24

Nobody has responded to you, and I'm not knowledgeable, but what I've read here is to go with what your chosen contractor suggests, since that is the install they have been trained on.

That's all fine and good if the contractor suggest a quality product. I had a plumber recently recommend a Navien. He said that's all he installs. After watching hours and hours of Mike Pipes videos documenting failed and consistent issues after 7 to 8 years of service with Naviens', I don't think I would be installing a Navien in my house.

kcoppbucksnort
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 198
    i'm a lochinvar boiler guy.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 5,713
    HTP and Viessman are good too. Take a look at what the controls can do compared to what you need them to do.
  • PilotPat24
    pedmec said:

i'm a lochinvar boiler guy.

Good to know. Thanks!
  • PilotPat24
    mattmia2 said:

HTP and Viessman are good too. Take a look at what the controls can do compared to what you need them to do.

Thanks. Will check them out!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 12,133
    Navian would not be my first choice
    bucksnort
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 176
    Purchase something that the installer has confidence in, and parts are available locally. If you are purchasing and installing the unit yourself, make sure you are getting a good warranty, and make peace with ordering parts yourself and the lead time that may come with that. Mod-con boilers have more proprietary components than older boilers.
    I would trust in my home, Viessmann, Triangle Tube, IBC, Lochinvar, Burnham and a few others that don't come to mind. My choice would be within this range, and make sure parts are available locally
    kcoppIn_New_England
  • PilotPat24
    GGross said:

Purchase something that the installer has confidence in, and parts are available locally. If you are purchasing and installing the unit yourself, make sure you are getting a good warranty, and make peace with ordering parts yourself and the lead time that may come with that. Mod-con boilers have more proprietary components than older boilers.
    I would trust in my home, Viessmann, Triangle Tube, IBC, Lochinvar, Burnham and a few others that don't come to mind. My choice would be within this range, and make sure parts are available locally

Thanks for the advise. I would be doing the install myself but since there is no gas currently at the house, a licensed plumber needs to perform the install as per the utility company. It seems like there are a lot of Burnham installers in my area. There are a couple of Lochinvar, and Viessmann installers as well.