Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Questions Help installing new Oil water heater

Shuga
Shuga Member Posts: 20
Hello, I've run into some problems as I am trying to install my new Hot water heater. I bought a John Wood f307 to replace my 30 year old John wood F307. So I've run into two issues. 1 How do I hook up the oil to the motor? I can't see to find the connection. I am assuming I undo one of the brass lines and connect it to the oil filter instead? 

Second, my old heater had a line labeled "Circulation line" Going to it, I'm not sure if it's a real circulation line but this new heater doesn't have a spot for it? Can I just leave it off if I close the line? Or is there some kind of adapter I can get?

Please help guys I've Been without hot water for days :( 

Comments

• Shuga
    Last pic is the old set up where the circulation line went, and the one above is where I think it should go
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Please call an experienced oil tech. That's not DIY.

WMno57
  • Shuga
    HVACNUT said:

Please call an experienced oil tech. That's not DIY.

I got everything hooked up but the oil and the other pipe
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    The reason to call on a tech. is that he or she will have the necessary instruments to adjust the burner to burn properly. Oil burners are NOT plug and play; each one -- even apparently identical units -- has to be adjusted for best combustion individually, and that is not something that can be done by eye.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

The reason to call on a tech. is that he or she will have the necessary instruments to adjust the burner to burn properly. Oil burners are NOT plug and play; each one -- even apparently identical units -- has to be adjusted for best combustion individually, and that is not something that can be done by eye.

Id replace that with "Should" have the necessary equipment!

Inform the contractor that you installed the water heater and need the gun set up properly!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    This is not a diy job
  • Shuga
    Well it is already, so maybe some help would be better then "It's not a DIY job" I see that it's not, but I'm to invested haha
    WMno57
  • HVACNUT
    Shuga said:
    Well it is already, so maybe some help would be better then "It's not a DIY job" I see that it's not, but I'm to invested haha
    Telling you it's not a DIY job is help. Its help in the way of precious advice. Whether or not you heed that help is up to you, and maybe your insurance company. 
  • Shuga
    edited May 2022
    HVACNUT said:

Shuga said:

Telling you it's not a DIY job is help. Its help in the way of precious advice. Whether or not you heed that help is up to you, and maybe your insurance company. 
    You don't know my experience though, so I'm not really sure how you can make that conclusion
    WMno57
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Shuga said:

If you have the instruments to check the oil pressure, check the O2and CO2 and smoke in the stack gas, and check the draught, and know how to use them, fine. If you don't know how to use them, but have the instruments, please find someone to give you training on how to use them. If you don't have the instruments, don't try to do it yourself. Are you even sure you have the correct nozzle for that burner and boiler combination?

We are not being difficult. We are just trying to protect you, your family, and hour house.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    Shuga said:
    You don't know my experience though, so I'm not really sure how you can make that conclusion
    I knew of your experience in your first post. I think it's safe to say that if you don't know how to connect the oil line to the fuel pump, then you sure don't have a combustion analyzer. Or smoke tester. Or draft gauge. 
    I appreciate your ambition, but there's a lot more to it than making connections, throwing the switch and walking away. 
    A lot of people can do a lot of things. Not a lot of people can do them right, and safe. Heck, there's tons of so called techs who I wouldn't let in my house. So the moral of the story is SAFETY. It would be a shame if you woke up dead and somebody here helped you do it.
    Stay well.

EBEBRATT-EdSTEVEusaPA
  • DJD775
    DJD775 Member Posts: 249
    I'm a DIY'er and I agree with what the pros are saying. If you can't find or read a manual for the pump that clearly shows where the oil line inlets are you shouldn't be going any further.