Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hid my meter

Jersey2
Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
Maybe it is because it is new to me, but my meter looks butt ugly to me. Like a spider robot. So I just finished a portable lattice that I put in front of it. Doesn't it look better with the lattice?

I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
In_New_England

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    i believe the utility has some rules about this
  • Dave Carpentier
    Dave Carpentier Member Posts: 586
    I used to hate when people "hid" telephone splice boxes in such a way to make it difficult/impossible to work at them. And shrubs. But if you can do it while still allowing access, then thats cool.
    You did say "portable", so that would work fine (well, maybe not up here .. it would be frozen stuck to the ground in winter !)
    It definitely does look better with the lattice.
    30+ yrs in telecom outside plant.
    Currently in building maintenance.
    MaxMercy
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
     I like the concept but why so big? Seems like 3” wide would be plenty.  
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Looks like a meter highlighter. Looks worse.
    steve
    ChrisJ
  • reggi
    reggi Member Posts: 510
    Yeah but the photos are out of whack (to me) The tree on the left is missing , The weather vane in the yard is moved from near the meter and missing tree towards the front of the chimney and probably more if I look..... How long apart were the photos taken ?
    One way to get familiar something you know nothing about is to ask a really smart person a really stupid question
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    very different perspective
    reggi
  • Dave Carpentier
    reggi said:

Yeah but the photos are out of whack (to me)

The downspout by the door shows the angle change between the two pics.
    The tree on the left would still be there, just out of the pic.

• metrorental
    metrorental Member Posts: 32
    since you've asked, i think it looks much better without the lattice screen. perhaps, instead, you could plant some bushes in front of the meter, or paint the meter to blend in better.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Agreed.
    Better without it.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507

I used to hate when people "hid" telephone splice boxes in such a way to make it difficult/impossible to work at them. And shrubs. But if you can do it while still allowing access, then thats cool.

LOL, then you would hate me. I was in the alarm business, and what I did was remove the phone wire from the splice box and locate it through my foundation about a foot under ground (all utilities under ground). I then replaced the original phone wire with a fake that connected to my alarm system.

Back in 1993 when I built my home, there was no cell service for alarm panels, just radio which was expensive and unreliable, and cutting the phone line was a common way to defeat central station notification. Sure, the local siren went off if the phone wire was cut but my nearest neighbor probably wouldn't hear my siren, particularly in winter.

So if someone cut my "phone" wire, central station would be notified through the buried hidden wire.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    The lattice draws your eye to it. It looks out of place. The meter blends better.
  • Jersey2
    The picture with the lattice is more straight on, without I was more to the right. It really does make it look like the trees and things moved. I prefer the lattice, but it is interesting hearing what others prefer. I got one gas bill thus far but no gas reader came over. I assume they don't come out in person to read the meter. Up close the meter is easily readable through the holes. I used the full 8' so it is offset. The large meter right in the middle to me is an eye sore.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Jersey2
    It is easy to move, a block leaning no each upward angled board on the bottom holds it, and the boards on the top keeps the space. It leans towards the house which the picture doesn't really show. So just gravity holds it. If the gas company says it isn't allowed I can carry it off in 10 seconds.

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    edited May 2022
    How about a concrete dog (or two)? No vet bills.

Retired and loving it.
    MaxMercyLarry WeingartenEdTheHeaterManSolid_Fuel_Man
  • MaxMercy
    Maybe if the lattice was more of a brick color?
    Larry Weingarten
  • ChrisJ
    MaxMercy said:

Maybe if the lattice was more of a brick color?

I think it would look better if he printed out a brick wall with a gas meter in front of it and glued it to the lattice.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    EdTheHeaterManMaxMercySolid_Fuel_Manreggi
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited May 2022
    That looks like a transmitting meter. The old type meter was probably switched out. It really doesn't have to be that accessible to be read. They read it by driving down the street.

As stated, I would paint it so it would blend in with the house.
    rick in Alaska
  • Dave Carpentier
    More colour matched like that ?
    (not fancy, just ran it thru Gimp)

Larry Weingarten
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    Jersey2 said:

The picture with the lattice is more straight on, without I was more to the right. It really does make it look like the trees and things moved. I prefer the lattice, but it is interesting hearing what others prefer. I got one gas bill thus far but no gas reader came over. I assume they don't come out in person to read the meter. Up close the meter is easily readable through the holes. I used the full 8' so it is offset. The large meter right in the middle to me is an eye sore.

Gas meter from the last 15-20 year are wirelessly read from a moving vehicle
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Some people can't even get hooked to gas in certain places....you're lucky to get one.

And count your blessings that you do not have an old one in your basement.

IMO, meters are like noses, everyone has one.
    Only if one looks too long is there a problem.....or something obvious hanging. ;)
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713

ChrisJ said:

Agreed.
    Better without it.

HVACNUT said:

The lattice draws your eye to it. It looks out of place. The meter blends better.

Another example of If you don't follow the way I think it should be, then you are wrong and should be admonished or censored. but that is the way of the woke generation this country is leaning towards.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • ChrisJ
    edited May 2022
    Agreed. Better without it.
    Another example of If you don't follow the way I think it should be, then you are wrong and should be admonished or censored. but that is the way of the woke generation this country is leaning towards.
    Not really.
    It's an example of our opinions are different.

I would like to think that's allowed.

At least you thought my joke was funny.
    GGrossrick in Alaska
  • MaxMercy
    Would the gas company allow painting the meter to match the house I wonder?
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited May 2022
    MaxMercy said:

Would the gas company allow painting the meter to match the house I wonder?

I have seen many meters painted the color of the house. I never heard of a fine or charge or penalty for making your meter brown or blue or even pink. Just don't paint over the little plastic window.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    MaxMercy
  • Jersey2
    It's pretty cool that it transmits and doesn't need to be directly read. And with the meter hidden or not hidden, nobody even looks or thinks about it to be honest except the home owner. How many houses have garbage and recycle bins in their front yard that we even notice. A new idea, I can put my recycle bins in front of it hehe
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Or this
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_ManEdTheHeaterManDave Carpentier
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    hot_rod said:

Or this

You can't make this stuff up!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    @hot_rod that is one of those new super efficient brick split systems. Made so well they covered it with brick! Would stick out in front of clapboard though.....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Trompe l'oeil
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Agreed. Better without it.
    I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not. If you were going for a laugh, I don't get it. If you're serious, it doesn't make sense. I see no admonishment or desire to censor the OP in any of the 3 quotes you posted. While some might be woke, others need to get their rest. Its almost like you just finished ranting on some political forum, then came here while you were still jacked up.