Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trying to learn from a mistake

Options
hey guys, I've been reading the board and learning how to install hvac stuff for a few months on a derelict farm I bought. Getting better but I made a lot of mistakes in the beginning and didn't have proper equipment, etc. Early on I installed a single 18K Senville mini split from amazon and a few weeks later it stopped working. Didn't diagnose or fix it until a few days ago--the pcb board in the outdoor compressor failed, I swapped it, everything works now. As I was pumping the refrigerant down into the compressor to move that unit somewhere else I noticed I had barely opened the valves to let the refrigerant into the system after the initial vacuum. Obviously that's dumb and that must it created a restriction that made the unit fail, but the compressor is fine, it's just the pcb. There's nothing visible on the board. Any idea what could have caused it to fail in that case aside from my stupidity?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Maybe a power surge? Did you put a surge protector on it?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    mthmlf84
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,551
    Options
    probably short cycling from starting and stopping without the proper refrigerant flow
    mthmlf84
  • mthmlf84
    mthmlf84 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    interesting, no surge protector no, I have one on all the other compressors I installed (that are running great and didn't fail).
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    edited April 2022
    Options
    C heap
    C hinese
    C rap

MaxMercy
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,722
    Options
    pecmsg said:

C heap
    C inese
    C rap

What is Cinese?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

pecmsg said:

C heap
    C inese
    C rap

What is Cinese?
    They can't even translate correctly!
    MaxMercyAlan (California Radiant) Forbesmthmlf84