Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Troubleshooting Intermittent Firing and Adding C-Wire

nickr
nickr Member Posts: 36
edited April 2022 in Strictly Steam
Single-pipe steam system in my small house, with a Utica boiler. The problem is that sometimes it'll fire when the old Honeywell CT8602 thermostat calls for heat, sometimes it won't. A technician visited yesterday and advised that one of three things could account for the intermittent firing: 1) bad thermostat, 2) bad lwco, or 3) bad pressuretrol. He recommended that I replace the thermostat (which I've wanted to do anyway) as the cheapest and easiest first potential fix.

A couple things he said during the visit make me doubt his knowledge base. First, we were discussing my main vents and he was adamant that main vents never close and should always stay open even when the steam hits them. And second, discussing my wiring, he said that c-wires are 120 volts and can't run off of the 24 volt transformer that's powering the furnace, and thus that I can't have a c-wire without major electrical work. (Current wiring setup is as follows. At the thermostat, the red is attached to R and white is attached to W. Inside the wall are the unused blue and green wires. In the basement, the blue and green terminate unused, while the red and white continue into the boiler. Separately, blue and green wires run from the boiler to a 24v transformer on the ceiling.) He also reinstalled the pressuretrol cover like he had never seen one before in his life. It was totally off-kilter and I had to re-do it once he left.

Four questions: 1) should I ask for my money back because the technician didn't know anything about anything, 2) can I use the existing wiring to add a c-wire to the system, by connecting the unused blue or green wire to the 24v transformer, 3) what thermostat should I get (I need to be able to verify from afar that the heat is running) and 4) any guess as to why my boiler won't fire from time to time?

Comments

• Jon_blaney
    Jon_blaney Member Posts: 316
    How do you get the boiler to fire when you have the problem?
  • nickr
    edited April 2022

How do you get the boiler to fire when you have the problem?

I wish I knew. In the past I'd fiddle with a bunch of things until it eventually restarted, but there was no rhyme or reason to it. Now it's going longer between firing -- last time it fired it had been cold for 2 days, then randomly turned on in the middle of the night. It was on when we went to bed last night, and cold when we woke up. I haven't been able to get it started again.
  • Jon_blaney
    Do this: Take the two wires off the thermostat and connect them together. Does the boiler start? If no, take the two wire off their boiler connection and replace with a jumper wire. Does the boiler start? Report what happens.
    Shalldierks
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    does it have a vent damper?

and don't let that tech touch your system.

Was it not firing while the tech was there? It is really easy from someone even mildly competent to find that problem if it happens while they are there.
  • nickr
    mattmia2 said:

does it have a vent damper?

and don't let that tech touch your system.

Was it not firing while the tech was there? It is really easy from someone even mildly competent to find that problem if it happens while they are there.

Yes it's got a 24v vent damper tied into the system. The usual sequence when the thermostat calls for heat is for the vent damper to open up and then the flames start roaring. But currently the vent damper isn't doing anything when the thermostat calls for heat.

The boiler happened to fire up again the morning the tech came. So he said "it's working, so there's no way for me to know what the problem is."
  • nickr

Do this: Take the two wires off the thermostat and connect them together. Does the boiler start? If no, take the two wire off their boiler connection and replace with a jumper wire. Does the boiler start? Report what happens.

I disconnected the red and white wires from the thermostat, touched them together, and the boiler fired up!!! Does this mean I just need a new thermostat? (And can I use the existing wiring as a c-wire?)
  • mattmia2
    Was it not working when you touched the wires together and it fired up? You have to try the jumpering stuff when it is not working.

The vent damper has a switch that closes when the damper opens to interlock the burner and keep it from firing when the damper is closed. If either the damper sticks or the motor fails or the switch goes bad the burner doesn't fire. There is a whole chain of other safety devices and the thermostat in series with the burner but the vent damper is one of the most common ones to fail since it opens and closes every heating cycle. Has anyone been testing the low water cutout regularly?
  • nickr
    mattmia2 said:

Was it not working when you touched the wires together and it fired up? You have to try the jumpering stuff when it is not working.

The vent damper has a switch that closes when the damper opens to interlock the burner and keep it from firing when the damper is closed. If either the damper sticks or the motor fails or the switch goes bad the burner doesn't fire. There is a whole chain of other safety devices and the thermostat in series with the burner but the vent damper is one of the most common ones to fail since it opens and closes every heating cycle. Has anyone been testing the low water cutout regularly?

The boiler was cold (hadn't fired all day) when I touched the two wires together. It immediately fired up.

I just moved in last year. My sense is that the system hasn't seen much testing or service in a while, LWCO included.
  • mattmia2
    Then that would tend to point to the thermostat. You should find someone that knows what they are doing to clean the boiler and test all the safeties.
  • Jon_blaney
    I would replace the thermostat. Does the old one have batteries? Maybe that is all it is. There are Youtube videos on how to wire a thermostat if you have no c wire.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    immediately fired up when the thermostat was jumped?
    or with the slight delay for the vent damper ?

cause if it lit off immediately, you still have an issue with the vent damper,
    and if the damper is closed, you should not be lighting immediately
    known to beat dead horses
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited April 2022
    With the incorrect diagnosis and wiring suggestions I would ask for a refund. The technician clearly needs some schooling. I'm sure he believes what he said, but he was incorrect about the vents and the wiring.
    You might show him this picture and ask the question "What does C mean in this picture?"

As far as the extra wires, you can certainly use one of them to connect the C terminal on the thermostat to the C terminal on the transformer. Just be sure the R on the thermostat is connected to the transformer. In some cases W on the old thermostat is connected to the transformer and it works. But when you need a C to operate the thermostat, then W on the thermostat to the transformer will not work. Be sure by looking at the boiler wiring diagram.

CAUTION. if you are not familiar with control circuitry, you can damage some parts if you jumper the wrong terminals.As far as checking what is not connecting when there should be a call for heat, The Tech was correct. it could be any number of things like the Thermostat, LWCO, Pressuretrol, ... OR... the vent damper.

With the covers off of the controls you can easily determine which one it is. Just use a jumper wire to see which one is open when it should be closed. like in the diagrams below

When the problem presets itself, take a jumper wire across the R and W on the thermostat, if the burner starts or the vent damper starts, then that is the problem control. If not...

Move on the the next control in line and jumper the contacts that are open for an unsafe condition, and closed for normal operation.

Continue down the line until you find the problem devise.

Once you have located the open circuit, then you must determine if it is open because it is supposed to be, or if it is malfunctioning. then take appropriate action to correct the problem.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • pedmec
    pedmec Member Posts: 959
    when working on heating systems we always say safety first. DON'T LET THAT TECH BACK IN YOUR HOUSE
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    If my diagram above is not exactly like your system, you can post the model number and brand, or take a pic of the wiring diagram and I can make you a personalized diagram and point out where you can check the different devices.

CAUTION. if you are not familiar with control circuitry, you can damage some parts if you jumper the wrong terminals.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • nickr
    neilc said:

immediately fired up when the thermostat was jumped?
    or with the slight delay for the vent damper ?

cause if it lit off immediately, you still have an issue with the vent damper,
    and if the damper is closed, you should not be lighting immediately

The proper sequence (vent damper, then fire) activated when I touched the red and white wires.
  • nickr

As far as the extra wires, you can certainly use one of them to connect the C terminal on the thermostat to the C terminal on the transformer. Just be sure the R on the thermostat is connected to the transformer. In some cases W on the old thermostat is connected to the transformer and it works. But when you need a C to operate the thermostat, then W on the thermostat to the transformer will not work. Be sure by looking at the boiler wiring diagram.

CAUTION. if you are not familiar with control circuitry, you can damage some parts if you jumper the wrong terminals.

Very very informative. But I'm gonna respect my limits here and have a reputable tech come in and a) verify that it's the thermostat that's malfunctioning, and b) hook up the common wire for the new thermostat.

Any recommendations on a solid "smart" thermostat with cph settings?
  • nickr
    edited April 2022

If my diagram above is not exactly like your system, you can post the model number and brand, or take a pic of the wiring diagram and I can make you a personalized diagram and point out where you can check the different devices.

I drew the wiring connecting the thermostat, transformer, and boiler:

Here's the boiler. It's a Utica PEG150CDE.

• nickr
    Wiring

• nickr
    edited April 2022

Here's the drawing of the wiring between thermostat/boiler/transformer.
  • mattmia2
    Where does that wire from the ceiling go after it disappears in to the ceiling?

Where does the cable from the thermostat go?
  • nickr
    edited April 2022
    mattmia2 said:

Where does that wire from the ceiling go after it disappears in to the ceiling?

Where does the cable from the thermostat go?

Hopefully my drawing clears up those questions. Blue and green wires from the transformer route down to the boiler. Thermostat's wires go to the boiler, but only the red and white. The others just terminate unused. I want to use one of those as the common wire.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Do yourself a big favour. (Besides keeping that tech. out of the house, I mean...).

Go down to your local big box store. Buy the cheapest two wire thermostat you can. In my local one it would be this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honeywell-Home-Round-Non-Programmable-Thermostat-with-1H-Single-Stage-Heating-CT87K/100476730

Take it home. Read the instruction carefully and hook it up as it says to. See if it activates the heating system as you want it to.

If so, you've solved your problem. If you seriously want programming, there are two wire battery powered thermostats which do that, too.

If you want fancy stuff like wi-fi or that sort of thing, you'll need that third wire -- but try it with the easy stuff first.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan

• nickr

• EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2022

I can offer you a wiring diagram for a wifi thermostat (most brands) that require a C terminal to operate using an isolation relay and a separate transformer. But I would check out the problem using @Jamie Hall's idea using a cheep thermostat to see if that solves your problem first.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited April 2022
    Based on your diagram, my simplified diagram looks like this for your system.

Since the R from the transformer (in your diagram the Brown Wire) is not connected to the thermostat directly, if the LWCO or the Pressure control ever opens (as it should from time to time) the thermostat will consider that condition as an error. So normal cycling of the Pressure control or the LWCO will cause a thermostat failure.

I hope this helps with your understanding of the wiring requirements.
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336

If you want fancy stuff like wi-fi or that sort of thing, you'll need that third wire -- but try it with the easy stuff first.

If you don't have a C-wire and don't want to install one, there is another way to have a wifi thermostat.

You can get a battery operated thermostat that communicates wirelessly with a hub that is connected to the internet (and requires an outlet). Google Zigbee thermostat and you'll find a bunch.
  • STvex
    STvex Member Posts: 71
    The original Nest Learning and Nest E thermostats don't need a c wire.  My old steam boiler had a nest e thermostat.  The new nest thermostats need a c wire.  
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    The thermostat was the original problem. The replacement thermostat ended up being a smart thermostat that needed a C wire. Using an isolation relay solved the problem of the C wire and the system is operating flawlessly.
  • nickr

The thermostat was the original problem. The replacement thermostat ended up being a smart thermostat that needed a C wire. Using an isolation relay solved the problem of the C wire and the system is operating flawlessly.

Thanks to @EdTheHeaterMan for pointing me to the isolation relay and talking me through the wiring. I highly recommend this solution to anyone who has a two wire setup but wants a smart thermostat and has unused wires buried in the wall.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jersey2
    Jersey2 Member Posts: 166
    Did it also need its own separate transformer? And isn't the relay already inside the thermostat? My thermostat is battery powered with the option of connecting a C wire for power, instead of batteries and I thought I could just connect a separate 24 volt transformer to send the low voltage to the C and R. Currently I am only using batteries to power it.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited October 2022
    Jersey2 said:

Did it also need its own separate transformer? And isn't the relay already inside the thermostat? My thermostat is battery powered with the option of connecting a C wire for power, instead of batteries and I thought I could just connect a separate 24 volt transformer to send the low voltage to the C and R. Currently I am only using batteries to power it.

There is no relay inside a thermostat. Analogue thermostats have switch contacts that open and close based on room temperature. you can adjust the set point where those contacts open and close but nothing that resembles a relay is in any thermostat I'm aware of. This is a wiring diagram of a SIMPLE heating only thermostat.
    Digital thermostats must follow this same basic wiring design to be compatible with most standard HVAC systems. Thermostats operate relays, but do not include relays within the thermostat enclosure itself.

A relay is something that can do several things. The most common is to have a low voltage control circuit operate a high voltage motor as in a compressor or fan on a HVAC appliance. Here is an example of a relay that does just that.
    There is another use for a relay to isolate a smart thermostat that requires a C wire form a heating control circuit that is not compatible with that particular smart thermostat as shown on the left side of the diagram here:

I hope this answers your query @Jersey2. If not, feel free yo PM me. I'll be happy to go over this with you.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    My non-nest electronic thermostat must have a relay. I hear it click when it calls for heat.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jersey2
    Thanks Edward, that does help. The relay when energized with the 24 volt transformer completes the circuit. What I don't fully understand is, even the digital thermostats must 'touch' the red and white wires together, like a switch, so why can't it work like the analogue thermostat. My old thermostat had a ball of mercury that would roll and complete the circuit, no batteries required.
    I'm not a plumber or hvac man and my thoughts in comments are purely for conversation.
  • Jersey2
    So it can't work like this without the relay? (sorry about the bad drawing)