Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

5/8 tubing on 6" centers

Options
Hey everyone what is the best way to practically lay out 5/8 tubing on 6" centers.

Web says max radius is 6" for 5/8. Do I just let the 180 turns flair out?

Layout and heat load done by Rehau. 

Tubing is Uponor hePEX and will be attached to 6" wire mesh in 4" concrete.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    Yes, you will have to “light bulb” the ends of the loops to get a tight spacing like that
    why .5/8? Just to get long loop lengths?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    why not interleave 2 tubes at 12"?
  • yotakrawler
    yotakrawler Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks that is a good idea. I am having a hard time picturing how that would work in a room that is a single zone and a single loop. Would the tube cross over itself? If they do cross over, what are your thoughts on the chair height for my wire mesh? Right now I am planning for 2 inch which give me 1.25 inch of concrete above the tubing. If have to stack the tube that only leaves about. 5 inches. I could get 1.5 inch chairs.
  • yotakrawler
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Yes, you will have to “light bulb” the ends of the loops to get a tight spacing like that
    why .5/8? Just to get long loop lengths?
    Yeah, pushing 400ft in some places.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    No harm in "over tubing" I'd consider two 200 '1/2" loops instead of a 350' 5/8".
    More tube= lower SWT options, faster recovery, more even surface temperature.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Zmanrick in Alaska
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    I was thinking some sort of staple up. I will defer to others on how to handle crossing over in concrete. 2 parallel loops would reduce your loop length and might get you a smaller tubing size(although it would use a bit more tubing overall)
  • yotakrawler
    Options
    Unfortunately at this point I have materials in hand and will probably have to make this configuration work. Any thoughts on what would be better "light bulb" or crossing over?

hot_rod said:
    No harm in "over tubing" I'd consider two 200 '1/2" loops instead of a 350' 5/8". More tube= lower SWT options, faster recovery, more even surface temperature.
    mattmia2 said:
    I was thinking some sort of staple up. I will defer to others on how to handle crossing over in concrete. 2 parallel loops would reduce your loop length and might get you a smaller tubing size(although it would use a bit more tubing overall)

• GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,046
    Options
    If you know anyone in your area that might have a pexgun wire tie tool to lend you they are super nice for tieing down to wire mesh.

I think I would "light bulb" personally. Normally I would have used 1/2" tube 9" on center, but more tubing is generally better, and I can't fault you for trying to do something better than average
  • hot_rod
    Options
    There are other tube layouts some of these would only have one "light bulb" :)r
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    mattmia2
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Options
    I would just go around the room ... that's how I did a big sunroom w/ lots of windows. In my case I did two loops that sit inside inside one other -- but one loop is just as easy. In a big space I like the loop around vs up down/ back forth.
  • yotakrawler
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am attempting to do radiant cooling and that is the reason for the 6"spacing and the 5/8 tubing. My understanding is that cooling needs higher flow rates to maintain a lower delta T and the larger tubing keeps the pump sizes in check.