Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cooling a greenhouse

looking for info. on cooling a greenhouse 48' x 96' -any thoughts recommendations

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2022
    Large exhaust fan
    Retractable/removable side curtains
    Design roof vents in your plans (if you have not already built the greenhouse)

If these do not apply to you, we need more info about your greenhouse.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    GGross
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    The clerestory type vent in the picture works well -- they can be fitted with automatic operators. Simple opening vents in the slope at the peak work too -- with or without automatic operators.

And fans. Don't skimp. BIG fans. Rollup side curtains as @EdTheHeaterMan said. Check FarmTek https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/home?msclkid=eea44abbb43011ec8f824035c504985c
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • creger.robert
    creger.robert Member Posts: 38
    they have roll up side curtains-they are painting top white-they want to have showers-weddings in greenhouse
  • creger.robert
    creger.robert Member Posts: 38
    existing greenhouse -has auto opening vents on sides-they want to have showers-banquets-weddings in greenhouse
  • GGross
    GGross Member Posts: 1,043

they have roll up side curtains-they are painting top white-they want to have showers-weddings in greenhouse

What are the owners expectations of the space when it is changed over to a wedding venue? are they planning to use it seasonally as a greenhouse, and then seasonally as a venue? Greenhouses can provide some shelter from rain, but are generally built in such a way that climate control for human comfort is nearly out of the question. If noise is not a problem I would just use some big fans, people are not going to rent a repurposed greenhouse for a wedding expecting A/C, it is basically like being outside
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    The couple of greenhouses I have seen use "swamp" coolers in the summer.
    Great for plants but would be a little rough on the wedding party.....I can see the Tux's coming off and the ladies would suffer from the humidity.
    Vegas
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    a thermostatic greenhouse window operator is how Larry controls his gravity radiant walls. No power required
    Maybe he will post a pic
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hi, Good memory HR! Here is an image: The black cylinder at the bottom is filled with wax, which expands with heat and pushes a piston to open the window. There isn't much to go wrong B)

Yours, Larry
    GGrossEdTheHeaterMan
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,830
    edited April 2022
    I can see that you are going to use this for "other than a green house" venue with a green house look. Then the regular rules of heat loss and heat gain will apply. I had an awning manufacturer as a customer who asked me about doing outdoor temporary structures at a country club. His problem was how to get those structures cool enough on some of the very hot afternoon receptions. And if heating them would work in the spring and autumn.

I came up with using a couple of package units on mobile carts that could be stored and moved around to the location of the structure using golf carts. The structure would have inflatable duct sewn into the walls and ceilings to distribute the cooled air across the interior of the enclosure. There were flex duct connectors attached to the side of the structure and you could place package unit several feet away from the structure behind a solid insulated wall to reduce the noise Temporary electrical hookup was placed at the proposed equipment location. The idea was to apply the side curtains and pre-cool or pre-heat the enclosure before people arrived, Then continue to use the package units as needed as the climate changed throughout the hours of the event.

Depending on the temperature and the wind conditions the side curtains could be raised as the evening approached, or lowered and the heat deployed, making the system usable well into the late fall and early spring. I have drawn up the plans for him and did preliminary load calculations for him based on the size of the room they had in mind, one of the larger rooms like yours (about 50 x 100) would take 5, five ton package units to even come close to the load with 150 guests inside during a 2 hour event. Of course if there was a little overcast or less people, then you could deploy less HVAC equipment.

After calculating the cost of the electrician, the structure, and the package units, the country club never purchased the system. The temporary structures were assembled without any added HVAC and only used seasonally, mainly for outdoor cover in the case of rain.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    GGross
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,632
    At 25 tons could maybe a chiller and running chill water pipes to the tent with some sort of quick connect for the air handlers and the chiller some distance away make more sense?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    What about a poly sock duct running down center and using a mobile 15-20 ton or so a/c unit. Even can rent them. Then store when not needed.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,844
    Even with double pain glass it's going to be Hot Hot Hot!

I don't think 20-Tons is enough!