Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

indirect storage tank

DaveM
DaveM Member Posts: 51
edited March 2022 in Domestic Hot Water
I'm going to be installing a superstor storage tank on a oil fired hydronic boiler. is it ok to puncture the tankless coil and plug the tapping's on the face plate?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    And why on earth would you be puncturing the tankless coil? Simply disconnect it. Plug or cap one end, and leave the other open.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcopp
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    DaveM said:

I'm going to be installing a superstor storage tank on a oil fired hydronic boiler. is it ok to puncture the tankless coil and plug the tapping's on the face plate?

Doesn't your storage tank require a working tankless coil?

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    MaxMercy said:

DaveM said:

He means the old tankless coil on the boiler, and making the new indirect on it's own zone.
    steve
    MaxMercy
  • DaveM
    no not at all the indirect storage tank is a replacement for the small tankless on the boiler
  • DaveM
    jamie if I leave an open end and in the future the coil rots out the boiler water will leak all over
  • DaveM
    thanks Steve i thought that was understood
  • DaveM
    Steve do you think its ok to puncture the old coil before capping it off instead of putting a new blank face plate on
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    DaveM said:

jamie if I leave an open end and in the future the coil rots out the boiler water will leak all over

Well, that's true. However, if the coil isn't already leaking -- which you would know -- the odds of it doing so at some future time are slim to none. Just arrange it so the open end is low, so it can't accumulate wate.

Or you could take it out and put a blank face plate on -- if, that is, you can get it out. Most often, you'll break at least one of the studs holding it on. Or you could puncture it somehow inside the boiler and put caps on both ends. Or...

Myself I'd not make the job any harder than it had to be, But maybe that's just me.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    kcoppZmanEdTheHeaterMan
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507

MaxMercy said:

DaveM said:

He means the old tankless coil on the boiler, and making the new indirect on it's own zone.
    Yeah, I brain farted because I was just thinking about using a standard electric water heater as storage from the coil.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    With no flow it isn't going to rot out from the potable water side. If copper in an iron boiler rots out from the inside, you have bigger problems.
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    Do not put the 2nd cap on until you are sure that the coil is completely dried out.
    Otherwise pressure could build and rupture the coil for you.
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    It is a pressure vessel being heated, it needs to ether be open or have a relief valve.
    MikeAmann
  • DaveM
    the relief valve is a good idea but if i puncture the coil letting it fill with boiler water and cap off both hot and cold there's no chance off pressure build up. what do you think
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 90
    When I switched to the MS-40 I have I just shut the feed water off, drained & moved on. That was 10 years ago & nothing leaks today.
    EdTheHeaterMan
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    If you leave the coil intact and don't puncture it do not plug it it will build up air pressure. If you puncture it then cap both tappings obviously.

Most just disconnect and leave un capped which is what I would do.

The choice is yours
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    I have completed this project for several customers. Disconnect the potable water piping and leave the coil uncapped. If it starts to leak in the future you can address it at that time. Your idea is sound but ask me how many good intentions, that were unnecessary at the time, and were the cause of a real nightmare. I wish I left that alone at the time of my great idea.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    mattmia2MaxMercyMikeAmann