Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP tank monitoring

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
Howdy fellas. 

So I have 3) 120 gal LP tanks. The gauge goes to 100% but when filled to 100gal it makes them read 80% on the gauge, correct? Can anyone recommend a WiFi or wireless monitoring system like my smart oil gauge? The dials / gauges say “remote ready” on a small black tab. 

Thanks!  Loving New England but still getting used to oil & LP life. Using LP now due to oil costs. Usually we run oil with LP as backup but right now oil is still higher than LP. 

Tim 
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Check your costs, @Timco . Is LP really cheaper than oil, per BTU? Remember that LP has only about 90,000 BTU per gallon and oil has about 140,000.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Timco
    Options
    I had a equation written down somewhere to convert the numbers. It factored that and the LP boiler is 96% and the oil boiler is 84%. Of course the LP only sees that when below 140° or so. 

Check your costs, @Timco . Is LP really cheaper than oil, per BTU? Remember that LP has only about 90,000 BTU per gallon and oil has about 140,000.

• Timco
    edited March 2022
    Options
    LP is $4.10
    Oil is $4.80. 
    Oil was higher last week at about $4.99 when I switched to LP. LP wasn’t that much higher. 
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The coalpail calc is nice as you can just keep scrolling price and efficiency options and see instant results.

https://coalpail.com/fuel-comparison-calculator-home-heating

I feel the efficiency numbers are hard to pin down. I suspect mod con efficiency stays higher across it's modulation. And of course assuming condensing mode for those 90%+m numbers.
    A fixed burner NG, LP or oil would need to consider efficiency at times other than steady state.

The Brookhaven model shows a considerable drop, for example, on mild shoulder season loads, 35% and lower for example.

Looking at the heat load, hours of occurrence and actual boiler output could narrow down run time and efficiencies across the season. I doubt many run 84% range all season?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    Timco said:

LP is $4.10
    Oil is $4.80. 

Oil was higher last week at about $4.99 when I switched to LP. LP wasn’t that much higher. 
    At those prices, oil is considerably cheaper per BTU than LP. 3.5 cents per thousand BTU for oil, 4.5 cents per thousand BTU for LP. A very common consumer error.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a Wyze V3 camera (Wyze.com) pointing at my LP indicator. It is at the extreme range for Wi-Fi but I modified it to add an external camera. I power it with a 5VDC cable that runs to an inside power adapter. The camera has a magnetic base that holds it to the tank and there is a tank cover over that.

This allows me to monitor this tank from anywhere. If I had more tanks I would add more cameras.