Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TriangleTube technical support

YSM4
YSM4 Member Posts: 1
I recently had the opportunity to service a TriangleTube prestige solo 110. Approaching this system, I realized with a few exceptions, this boiler is quite similar to most other wall hung high efficiency condensing boilers. I have not worked on many so as I went through all of my normal diagnostics that I would on any other unit of similar makeup, I realized I had to call their technical support. I had already reviewed both the installation and service manual for this boiler just to verify that everything was in proper order. I not only feel as though TriangleTube’s technical support was very unhelpful, I consider them to be the absolute worst technical support I have ever called! The techs that answered my calls would try and rush me off the phone as though I was some sort of burden to them. Like I previously mentioned, I had all the relevant information on hand ready to give them once I was prepared to call. This made no difference to them and without having me check normal things like voltages, resistance readings, and pressure readings, they instructed me to simply replace a bunch of parts based solely on the situation of which I explained to them. I ordered all of these parts and installed them only to find that the boiler would do the same exact thing as before when I first was called to look at it. I called them back and again without having me check and readings or measurements instructed me to replace another part. My customer is now $3,000 in the hole with a boiler that is still not working. I’m the end I will be eating this entire job. The purpose of me submitting this post was to advise anyone out there who is contemplating whether or not to install this kind of boiler in their home is to not do it. Not only are the boilers inferior, but the engineering and design is flawed significantly. The worst part of all is that if you do make this costly mistake of choosing to install a TriangleTube in your home, if you try to call technical support for help with this product you will get unknowledgeable people who not only cannot help you fix their own product but that will also be rude and condescending in order to not have to deal with YOUR problems. This is what one of them told me. “Well it looks like this is your problem to figure out” Never I’m my 17 years of HVAC/R experience have I heard a tech support guy tell me this. I strongly urge everyone out there to never install a TriangleTube boiler in your home!!!
EdTheHeaterMan

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    I'm not a triangle tube fan anyway, but several years ago they were a fairly good company. Sounds like the bean counters have taken over the tech support department. If anyone here has a good experience with Triangle Tube, perhaps you can forward this post to the management over there. This is not a good business model for Tech Support to blow off the people who have influence on the choices the public can make on selecting new equipment.

Thanks for the info
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Zman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Did you try a local rep? They usually have more “in the field” experience.
    Firing a parts cannon at a boiler is not usually the best repair method😗
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    What are you having for issues?
    I do know that one of Triangle tubes tech support is on here regularly...
  • mknmike
    mknmike Member Posts: 82
    When I installed my triangle tube solo 110, about 11 years ago, their tech support was very helpful.  The guy I talked to a few weeks ago when finding commonly breaking parts to preventatively buy as spares was also very helpful.  Maybe they are better supporting homeowners than professionals??

I think it would be helpful I if the OP would describe the issue he’s having, and we could help him make the fix / diagnosis.  
    kcoppRich_49
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited March 2022
    @YSM4
    Could you please elaborate on the Triangle Tube issue?
    I agree that Triangle Tube support and training has fallen off in the last few years.
    A "One Post Wonder" complaining about a manufacturer without offering details does not carry much weight here.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcoppRich_49mrhemi
  • It happens; depends who you get. Perhaps they aren't the best in the industry, but certainly not the worst.

I don't think their job is the easiest. They deal with all kinds of people and I'm sure they get abused a lot. I try to make them feel comfortable somehow and respect their knowledge.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    I agree with Zman's "One Post Wonder". Step-up to the plate and back up your claims.
    Use your words, well.
    Rich_49
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Oh, just to say...I have installed quite a few Triangle Tube boilers. Have serviced them. And I have one in my own home. I have also used their tech support (and several other companies') with varying degrees of success.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Could it be possible that your piping arrangement , pumping strategy , controls are done a bit off ? I mean hell , you have 17 whole years of doing this and have not done too many mod cons , using your basic words . In my experience this quote ( " This is what one of them told me. “Well it looks like this is your problem to figure out” Never I’m my 17 years of HVAC/R experience have I heard a tech support guy tell me this. " ) would be reserved for those who call and after lengthy discussion it becomes apparent to a Tech support person that the caller is not willing to take ANY RESPONSIBILITY for an issue with the SYSTEM . Bone up on your skills , listen , think about the fract that you , at 17 years probably don't know as much as you think you do . There is no shortage of guys out there with 40 years of experience that astound many of us with their lack of knowledge , I like to say 5 years experience and 35 doing it wrong .

Show us some pictures and describe what the issues were / are , let's see your chops .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Alan (California Radiant) ForbesGGross
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited March 2022
    I can't remember what company I was talking to, It was a mini-split system of some sort or the other, and all the tech support could do is read the script based on my answers to their questions. I could tell I had a much better knowledge of the principals of refrigeration and basic electrical circuitry. It was frustrating because the printed circuitry of modulation and ECM compressors and fan motors was new at the time. I was depending on the Tech Support to have insider knowledge of "Known Issues" that might help me thru the problem faster than just part changing. It turned out that the Tech Support did nothing more than that. There were three circuit boards that I changed out under warranty. But I had to do them one at a time and call tech support each time. 3 visits over 8 days.

It was aggravating. I got to the point that I would call the number 45 minutes before I arrived at the job site, and stay on hold, then answer the standard primary script questions only to end up arriving on site and still wait 10 minutes or so to get the the "Expert" that could actually help. Just to tell them
    I already replaced that part, then ...already replaced that part also, ... OK now, when I get this third PC board... and it still does the same thing... what will you tell me to do next? ... Replace 2 sensors. ... OK, Send those also under warranty.

As I said, I can't remember the brand but I do remember that I NEVER purchased that brand ever again.

I can understand the OP frustration. but sometimes the "I'm an expert and you are not understanding me" attitude can cause more problems than they solve. Let them know that "WE" are both in this together to solve a customer issue. Let's put our egos aside, our brains together, and get this done.

Just some words of wisdom from an old fart who used to know it all when I was younger.

Mr.Ed
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Rich_49Alan (California Radiant) ForbesLarry Weingarten
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Realize also that sometimes you are the first to encounter or report and issue with many technologies . If you're not willing to be part of that team that partakes in a discussion to figure it out , I don't know what to tell ya
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    EdTheHeaterMan