Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Do Hydronic baseboards need to be level?

HydroPat
HydroPat Member Posts: 3
edited February 2022 in Radiant Heating
My house was built in the 70's with copper in the floor. I have removed the service to the floor and am in process of having baseboards put in. It turns out that my concrete floor is sloped. However, when the installers put in the baseboards, they put them in level instead of following the floor. Now I am flush to the floor (carpet) on one end, and about 1" off the floor (carpet) on the other end. Before everything gets soldered up, I wanted to get some outside advice on whether or not the baseboard can follow the floor? This will be a single zone with a loop size of 25' X 25'. It seems to me that if I am pumping the water up 2 levels, I should be able to pump it up 1", but I am no expert. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 831
    A baseboard system is a closed, completely filled, slightly pressurized circulating loop. It shouldn't matter if it is level or not when it is heating and in operation. The only reason to have specific "pitch" on it would be if you ever wanted to drain it down--seasonally or for maintenance or repairs.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    For water, baseboards can follow the floor, but up high enough with carpet to allow proper air flow.
    You're not 'pumping the water level up 2 level'. Static pressure lifts the water, circulator sends it round and round.
    steve
    Zmanmattmia2
  • HydroPat
    Thanks guys, this helps. I hate to be picky, but it just seems unsightly to see an inch or so of exposed wall before the bottom of the baseboard starts. Especially since I stopped painting a half inch above the carpet line expecting it to be covered by baseboard. Thanks Steve for the clarification on terminology. Just a homeowner.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Most contractors would have installed it so it was parallel to the floor or would have asked rather than installing something that looks like hell.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    Higher above the carpet is always better. If it is too close or someone installs thicker carpet it won't heat well.

Make sure there are fitting or it runs back to the boiler at the high and low points so you can bleed and drain it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    Are these already installed?
  • HydroPat
    pecmsg said:

Are these already installed?

They are mounted to the wall, but have not been connected to each other or to the boiler. They are coming back Monday to do the finish the job.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    A piece of 1/4 round molding may look better under the enclosure?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream