Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drop Header for Single Riser

Options
I'm looking into piping a drop header for a GSA-075 that has a single riser. I find all the drop header discussions for double risers and I am wondering if its recommended to use a drop header for my singer riser boiler. If it's relevant, it's a parallel-flow system please note. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Why not? There is as much benefit -- perhaps more -- for a single riser as for a double. Cedric has a single riser and a drop header.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ranzerox
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    You can use a drop header on any boiler. I don't like them because they look funny. I would only use one if I was short on height. But that's just me
    ranzerox
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    I love drop headers. Go for it. 
    ethicalpaulranzerox
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,127
    Options
    ranzerox said:

I'm looking into piping a drop header for a GSA-075 that has a single riser. I find all the drop header discussions for double risers and I am wondering if its recommended to use a drop header for my singer riser boiler. If it's relevant, it's a parallel-flow system please note. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

=================================================================

If you have the room you could use a double drop header as well to increase speed of the dry steam delivery by using a secondary drop header that is one inch larger than the primary drop header as the steam will expand that much faster and the steam will dry that much faster as well with the drip pipe to the water level in the boiler.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    I put in two supplies on my small boiler just for experimentation’s sake but even if I had put in only one, I still would have done the drop header for sure.

…even though my experimentation showed my boiler never needs it. It’s just easy and may actually simplify pipe fitting.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    ranzerox
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I was gonna put two risers on this until our main guy had to shoot to another project (had to get busy- one day job). About 200 EDR, 36” riser into a 2 1/2” header, runs nice 

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    STEAM DOCTORdelcrossvranzeroxJohnNY
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    Not advisable on the inferior Dunkirk design, GW!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    cross_skier
  • ranzerox
    ranzerox Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Any problem using a street elbow when creating the drop? I'm thinking riser to elbow to street elbow. In all the pictures I've come across, its riser to elbow to nipple to elbow.

Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    No, can't think of one -- if you can find a street elbow big enough and which increases the diameter, since you want the drop header (any header, if it comes to that) to be one pipe size larger than the riser.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Aside from being a little smaller in diameter than the pipe, street elbows are also harder to adjust to the right angle. Once they start getting tight you don't get another turn.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    ranzerox
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @ranzerox

Trust me skip the street elbow. They are hard to get a wrench on and your risk crushing it unless you screw a nipple into it to prevent that. You would regret it.

A regular 90 is cheaper than a street 90. But you have to buy a nipple. In 2" your talking about $5-$6 more overall
    ranzerox