Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

In floor heat valve question

Options
kestor
kestor Member Posts: 3
We have a recently built home with radiant in floor heat for the basement and main floor.  It has had issues from the beginning. Certain areas don't warm up as much as others. They have replaced the switches in the past at our expense. Recently they replaced the manifold because it was leaking (from the beginning) at our expense. The service technician stated that they installed it upside down. He replaced it the same way.
Every picture of the manifold I can find shows it installed differently than ours. Does the orientation matter? Is that why it hasn't worked and will it continue to break down?
We are calling a different company in town
Thanks!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    On some manifolds the flow indicators won’t be accurate if they’re upside down. Others don’t want the actuators that way, but I don’t think either of those is an issue with that manifold. However, the manufacturer’s instructions should be consulted.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    I like the lack of bushings or grommets where the tstat wiring goes through the knockouts
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Should be fine inverted like that.

The only exception is chilled water application where and condensation could get into the actuator.
    Flow indicators are finicky devices, most are pressure activated with spring return, they should work inverted, but…

Also, some brands have hermetically sealed actuators for inverted chilled manifolds.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kestor
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I did forget to mention that the setup in the picture is for the main floor that has 2 zones(the sheet to the right only shows 1 zone corresponding to the left flow meters).
    The basement is a separate zone. It is installed with the flow indicators up.

I had it off for a couple days and then turned it on and then took the picture. While it was off, the flow meter to the far left and the 3rd one from the left never closed. The flow indicators to the far right all opened up with starting the system (just increased the temperature). The ones to the left didn't.

I haven't been able to find a manufacturer setup manual. They are stickered "Zurn". I can't see a brand on the switches.
    Thanks again for the help!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Those plastic flow indicators are often the balance valve also. Try turning the plastic part and see if the flow change.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @kestor

If it has never worked right you need a contractor that knows something. Check "find a contractor on this site" and post your location
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    hot_rod said:

Those plastic flow indicators are often the balance valve also. Try turning the plastic part and see if the flow change.

those aren't setters on the face of that minifold ???
    known to beat dead horses
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    There are literally dozens of things that could be causing this:
    • How is the tubing installed? Staple up with plates? Tubing in concrete?
    • Are the zone valves operating correctly?
    • Are the circulators(s) sized correctly?
    • How is it piped?
    • What is the supply water temp?
    • What is the return water temp?
    We may be able to help with pictures of the whole system, you may also need to get someone on-site who knows what they are looking at.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 833
    Options
    Length of the individual loops? Is the main floor staple up? with plates? How is it insulated? Slab loop lengths? How well is the slab insulated? Etc.
  • kestor
    Options
    Appreciate all of the information
    I contacted Zurn to see if they have any feedback also
    Amazingly the installer has suddenly started to be more interested after we "noticed" that we can't find any other pictures online of a similar orientation (even if it might not be the problem)
    I'll take a look at the list of contractors on the site
    Thanks again all!!
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    neilc said:

those aren't setters on the face of that manifold ???

just to be clear,
    Zurn literature shows those are circuit setters on the face of the flow gage manifold,
    known to beat dead horses