Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator replacement assistance please

Options
MDG73
MDG73 Member Posts: 4
Greetings,

I have recently had a radiator from back in the 40's crack and I need to replace it. It has 6 tubes, 25" high, and 14 sections. I have found a radiator @ Cast Iron Radiators USA that is near me so shipping wouldn't be too brutal. What I need is professional help in what parts I need to get to replace the radiator. I know I will need 2 1" plugs for the top, 1 1 1/4" plug for bottom, 1 2"x1 1/4" (I believe) for the pipe connection side but I don't know the name or where to find the part that connects the valve to the radiator. I also know I will need some pipe sealant to seal up the connections. I will be using the existing vent on the current radiator as it is still pretty new as well as the existing valve. Any suggestions for what I may be missing/need would be greatly appreciated fella's/gals. Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    The part that connects the valve to the radiator is called a spud and... they aresold as matched pairs with the valve, not separately.

So. You can try to get the old spud out of the old radiator without wrecking it. Good luck. Or you can get a nice new radiator valve (steam radiator!) and its matching spud.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MDG73Ironman
  • MDG73
    Options
    ahh that is why it has been so hard to try and find that piece. Thank you for the information Jamie!! I guess I will be getting a new valve too.
  • MDG73
    Options
    Jamie,

For the plugs and bushing, should they be brass or cast iron? Thanks again.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,282
    Options
    Iron is fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MDG73
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    Is it steam or hot water? Remember the steam vent goes in the lower 1/3 or so and the hot water bleeder goes at the top.
  • MDG73
    Options
    mattmia2 said:

Is it steam or hot water? Remember the steam vent goes in the lower 1/3 or so and the hot water bleeder goes at the top.

It's a steam system, sorry if I forgot to put that in my initial post.