Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco Dual Unit Valve

jatenor
jatenor Member Posts: 3
Is dripping and when the boiler goes on it drips even more when I run both floors if drip worts. I have dual steam and hot water.
my pressure in the boiler gage never goes pass
the 10 or 12 pounds
recently water
came out to the second floor radiator. I think this valve failed and is over feeding
my lines when
i run the steam it makes hammering and
Water
comes out from the radiator valves. I think I have have to change this part other than that i think is also the bladder in the water tank. Has anyone experience this
same problem.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    edited November 2021
    10 -12#'s of steam pressure? It should be ounces!

Take some pictures from further away so we can see everything.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    OK, I'm confused. Is this a steam system or a hot water system? Or is is somehow some of each?

In one place you mention hammering and water coming out of the radiator valves. Assuming that you mean radiator vents, this sounds like a one pipe steam system? If so, the first thing to check is the steam pressure -- it should never get over about 1.5 to 2 psi. There should be a pressuretrol on the boiler to control it at that level. The second thing, particularly for the hammering, is to check all the steam pipes -- every single last one of them -- to make sure that they are all sloped so that they can drain back to the boiler. The hammering is almost certain to be a place where water can't drain freely and gets slammed against the next pipe bend.

Now... you also show some boiler trim -- an expansion tank and a pressure reducing valve -- which looks like part of a hot water system. You also mention a pressure gauge at 10 to 12 psi. That's reasonable for hot water, but if it's on the steam side it is wildly too much.

Can you post some more pictures further back from the boiler so we can really see what's happening? And clarify whether it is hot water or steam, or if it's both, how the hot water is separated from the steam?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • jatenor
    jatenor Member Posts: 3
    Is dual steam and hot water. The dint separated who ever converted did it before I purchased the home. It worked well until 10 years.  The steam never goes on 2 pounds. The pressure device is set on 2. I think is my pressure tank.. what im consern is why the automatic feeder is over feeding. The backflow preventer my need replacement as well. 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is the steam boiler overfilling...check the sight glass?

First of all what radiators have water coming out of "air vents"....not valves.

What is heated by steam and what is heated by hot water.

Show us the left side of the boiler that is against the wall. Where do those 2 copper pipes connect to the boiler. They are about 5" apart....about the size of your thumb.

You may have a "tankless coil" stuck into the steam boiler. The hot water passes thru the coil to heat whatever it goes to.
    If you have a leak in the copper-water coil then it will overfill your steam boiler and push water upstairs.

If you shut off the water to the water system and watch the pressure on that gauge.

How many gauges do you have? Show us all of them and where they are located.
  • TonyPipes
    TonyPipes Member Posts: 5
    jatenor said:
    Is dual steam and hot water. The dint separated who ever converted did it before I purchased the home. It worked well until 10 years.  The steam never goes on 2 pounds. The pressure device is set on 2. I think is my pressure tank.. what im consern is why the automatic feeder is over feeding. The backflow preventer my need replacement as well. 
    So if im not mistaken the electronic feed valve can be isolated temporarily, or in the black box after the fill valve attached to the half inch pipe can be switch to manual feed which might also stop the filling if there are no valves. Until you can get someone to repair it. Basic plumbing in your home I dont say anything about homeowners working on but the boiler and hot water heaters I highly recommend you don't touch. The backflow preventer can be leaking for a number of reasons irregular water pressure on the domestic side or the boiler water could be trying to backfeed if the pressure is too high on the boiler side. That will have to be investigated further.