Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper pipe electrolysis

I have a hot water copper pipe from my water heater which is touching my furnace’s Bvent exhaust connector pipe which leads to my chimney. It is an extremely tight space and difficult to move the Bvent or the pipe. Is anyone aware of an approved or appropriate wrap of any sort that a plumbing inspector would approve. A local plumber told me there was no way an inspector would approve it with a scrap of rock wool jammed between them. It does look unprofessional and though it’s in their tight, it doesn’t look like a fixed or permanent solution, so I agree that it would likely fail.

Comments

• davidken
    davidken Member Posts: 2
    Typo: It does not look professional. (With rock wool stuffed between the pipe & the Bvent)
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    you could use a piece of kaowool or a muffler bandage or get some high temp fiberglass without the binders. i really don't thing an inspector would notice if it was just enough to isolate the 2. ordinary rockwool probably has flammable binders in it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    We need pictures 
    mattmia2Zman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    easy to move the pipe 1/2 an inch. 2 45s and 190 degree elbow
    mattmia2
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If it’s b vent why can’t it touch the pipe, with just a small piece of kaowool, barely noticeable between vent and pipe? Last I checked copper isn’t combustible.
    steve