Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Relocation of Dry Return

Options
Hello- I'm new to the site, I have a single pipe steam system w/ 2 mains & 2 dry returns. Installing new Steam boiler with a Hartford loop, old system did not have one. Would like to move 1 of the dry returns, currently the dry returns follow back on the main. see attached photo. Does the return need to be pipe this way. Can the return follow outside wall of basement and return to boiler, dropping into the Hartford loop? If pitched properly. Does the elbow off the main to start the return have to be a certain degree?

The reason for moving one of the dry returns, is to better align it with the current Hartford loop and the second Dry return, plus its current location is not convenient with other plumbing.

appreciate any advice anyone could provide.

Thank you-

Comments

• jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    You can change the return as you suggest, as long as it is pitched down 1/4" per foot minimum. The returns should tie together below the water line. The angle of the elbow should be oriented to allow the correct pitch.
    Lumberguy
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,353
    Options
    Is that a vent I see lurking at the end of the steam main before it turns? If so, that is one of you main vents -- and it likely that it is much too small.

Now... strictly speaking those small return lines are condensate returns but in your system they can also carry steam -- so they are also steam main extensions. Since they are condensate returns, they can also be repiped to be wet returns if desired -- that is, lowered to the floor, provided only that they are vented before they drop. Pretty much any routing which ensures adequate slope while they are above the boiler water line will do, though -- as @jhewings says, a minimum of a quarter inch per foot.

Further, as he mentions, since they can carry steam they must not be hooked together above the water line of the boiler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Is that a Bell Bushing at the end of the supply?

If yes there's a lot of water trapped in there!
  • jhewings
    jhewings Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Maybe start at that bushing, especially if you have water hammer there. Change to an elbow with a reducer on the downside or a reducing elbow. If there is no hammer then maybe not? Also insulation of the steam main would be good and maybe better venting such as a Gordon #2.
  • Lumberguy
    Lumberguy Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick response, what a great site! @pecmsg I've attached a close up of the elbow at the end of the supply, its a 2" to 1" reducing 90 with a 1" closed nipple to a 1" 90. In regards to the vent at the end of the supply @Jamie Hall good eye the vent is too small and I plan to change it to a Big Mouth vent. I'm hoping the nipple with the small vent will thread off.
    JUGHNEpecmsg
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,551
    Options
    @Lumberguy

The reducing elbow on the end of the main is fine and is the right way to reduce. That 90 can turn straight down, or turn on a 45 it can lay at any angle as long as it doesn't trap water but cannot turn horizontal as it will trap water

If that makes sense
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,866
    Options
    Lumberguy said:

Thank you all for the quick response, what a great site! @pecmsg I've attached a close up of the elbow at the end of the supply, its a 2" to 1" reducing 90 with a 1" closed nipple to a 1" 90. In regards to the vent at the end of the supply @Jamie Hall good eye the vent is too small and I plan to change it to a Big Mouth vent. I'm hoping the nipple with the small vent will thread off.

That's why I questioned. it is the proper fitting.
  • Lumberguy
    Lumberguy Member Posts: 9
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed appreciate it, it does make sense. Thank you