Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP power vent boilers using Duravent CVS

rickster05
rickster05 Member Posts: 39
Finally ready to put in an LP backup boiler.  Would like to install one that uses outside air for combustion but is able to use the Duravent CVS piping so that there’s only one hole through the exterior shell.  Not interested in a condensing boiler due to large volume of system water.  Anyone know of a manufacturer that allows for this venting?  Looking for suggestions…
Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I don’t understand your reason for not wanting to use a mod/con because of the large volume of system water.

There are also PVC concentric vent kits that only need one penetration through a wall that are designed for mod/con boilers.

Typically, I would look for the best boiler for the application and then select the most appropriate venting option for that boiler, not choose a venting system and the try to find a boiler to fit it.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited November 2021
    Ironman said:

I don’t understand your reason for not wanting to use a mod/con because of the large volume of system water.

There are also PVC concentric vent kits that only need one penetration through a wall that are designed for mod/con boilers.

Typically, I would look for the best boiler Properly Sized for the application and then select the most appropriate venting option for that boiler, not choose a venting system and the try to find a boiler to fit it.

Fixed! o:)
    Ironman
  • rickster05
    rickster05 Member Posts: 39
    the reason why a mod/con is no good is because there’s a high amount of manganese and iron in the water and we don’t condition it.

A mod/con would have all sorts of problems based on the water in the system.  Also don’t want anything that technically sensitive.  I’ve heard too many stories regarding the controller boards going bad etc…
    Tarm Solo Plus wood boiler with 600 gal storage tank using repurposed cast iron radiators.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Ill accept that BUT if the water samples are constant then that can and should be dealt with.

What about the sizing quaetion?