Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mixing Valve / Diverter Valve sourcing

snoop
snoop Member Posts: 10
https://youtu.be/OSJkjcTHVLE?t=123

I am building a heating circuit just like the one in this youtube video with only one expansion tank on the primary circuit. It is suggesting that a diverter valve can be used however I am not sure where I can find one. Googling this item just returns shower mixing valves. If anyone is familiar with this and could link to an online retailer that would be helpful.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You would be mixing rather than diverting. Take a look at the TACO I-Series with outdoor reset 
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49rick in Alaska
  • snoop
    from what the video is saying is that diverting valves are desired so there is not cavitation in the auxiliary pump.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @snoop try supply house.com
  • Zman
    If you get rid of the check valve the problem also goes away. You don't need it. 
    Albert Einstein
    Rich_49
  • Zman
    edited November 2021
    The valve CV rating shoud be as close to the design gpm as possible
    Albert Einstein
  • snoop

@snoop try supply house.com

I can find the mixing valves but not diverter valves.
  • snoop
    Zman said:

If you get rid of the check valve the problem also goes away. You don't need it. 

I will be using a set point system so I can use it for a floor, with out a check valve then I would imagine hotter water could enter right?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    Or move the expansion tank to the secondary loop
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Zman
    edited November 2021
    Outdoor reset is perfect for radiant. As the heat loss decreases, the heat output decreases.
    If you are concerned about heat ghosting, a check valve at (or in) the circulator and or a heat trap would take care of that. There is no reason for the check on the return, what force is going to move water in that direction?
    Albert Einstein
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Important question and distinction is the fact that Dan is discussing a constant circulation system . Will you be using a constant circ loop ? Don't think so , you have no issues and do not require a diverter valve since your circ will apparently be off when there is no call for heat , especially if you use a setpoint mixer instead of the proper ODR unit . You could also use a 2 way or 4 way . Don't create problems where none exist . https://www.tacocomfort.com/documents/FileLibrary/102-145.pdf
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Zman