Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

mid-efficiency hydronic boiler: how often should I have it serviced?

Options
elif
elif Member Posts: 4
I am curious about how often I should have my mid-efficiency hydronic boiler serviced.

It is a conventional gas boiler on one zone and supplies cast iron radiators throughout the city row house. The brand is Williamson but I have not found any model information online. It is operating at 83 AFUE.

If you have a similar system, how often do you have it serviced? What do you ask of the plumber? Or who would you have service it?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    It's not a plumber for whom you are looking. It's a competent heating technician, familiar with gas, who will have the test instruments necessary to set the combustion properly. He or she will also clean the fire side of the heat exchanger, check the flue, check the water pressure and expansion tank pressure...

It really ought to be done once a year, but every other year may be adequate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    elif
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    @elif

As far as cleaning the boiler and burners you should be able to go 3-4 years if it is done correctly.

But it should have a combustion check and a quick once over every year to spot any future problems and to make sure the combustion is ok
    Zmanelif
  • elif
    elif Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you for the insight @Jamie Hall and @EBEBRATT-Ed!

Sounds like checking combustion is key.

I'll search for qualified heating technicians in my area and use these questions to guide that process.