Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NEED A GOOD PLUMBER IN BROOKLYN NY

biggz
biggz Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 10
SERIOUS BANGING. AND VIOLENT CLICKING IN ONE OF THE RADIATORS, RADIATORS SPEWING OUT WATER NEED A PRO TO SILENCE THIS

Comments

• biggz
    IM READY TO GET THIS WORK STARTED ASAP BEFORE I HAVE TO TURN ON BOILER..LINK ME
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Step 1. Turn off your caps. lock.

Step 2. Check the "Find a Contractor" tab. There are a number of contractors listed who work in Brooklyn. Some for steam heat, some for hot water heat, some for forced air, some for a combination...

Step 3. Be patient. Everyone I know is out straight, and unless it is a no heat emergency it may be a while before anyone can get to you.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    IronmanSTEVEusaPAEBEBRATT-Ed
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @biggz

Did this problem just crop up? Or was this a problem last year?
    mattmia2
  • biggz

Step 1. Turn off your caps. lock.

Step 2. Check the "Find a Contractor" tab. There are a number of contractors listed who work in Brooklyn. Some for steam heat, some for hot water heat, some for forced air, some for a combination...

Step 3. Be patient. Everyone I know is out straight, and unless it is a no heat emergency it may be a while before anyone can get to you.

yes i did this but im looking for someone who is good by recommendation for steam as i had someone trying to fix he not getting it done starting to feel like im just paying but not reaching my objective
  • biggz

@biggz

same thing last year but seems like banging got worse with paying to get problem resolved all the radiators were changed in house last week because i was told too
  • biggz
    when i do find a contractor i get real good plumber...steam doctor...vigilante..and absolute mechanical..but im not sure how good they really are
  • Jamie Hall
    biggz said:

@biggz

same thing last year but seems like banging got worse with paying to get problem resolved all the radiators were changed in house last week because i was told too
    All the radiators were changed? Changed? Why on earth... ???

I do know of the work of at least two of those companies you mention, and they are good. Problem, though. Since this is a carry over problem from last year, it is not an emergency -- and it may take a while for anyone to be able to come out and trouble shoot it. And since you have had someone already working on it, and changing radiators -- which is simply bizarre -- it may take considerable effort to get it working as it should work.

In the meantime, a little self-education might be helpful. Steam heat is not really all that hard to understand, and there is much that a homeowner can do to help themselves. I'd start with "We Got Steam Heat", a book by Dan Holohan, which is available from the store on this site or, I believe from Amazon.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I know A Real Good Plumber and Absolute Mechanical are both very good. I'm not sure about the others when it comes to steam. There are some people who say that I ain't so bad either. Take your pick.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • biggz
    well mr john i could use you if interested
    JohnNY said:

I know A Real Good Plumber and Absolute Mechanical are both very good. I'm not sure about the others when it comes to steam. There are some people who say that I ain't so bad either. Take your pick.

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited October 2021
    biggz said:

well mr john i could use you if interested

Shoot me an email at john@72Fmechanical.com with some information about the building: single/multi family, number of floors, location, etc.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • biggz
    im in brooklyn new york georgetown area single family home 2 floors banging pipes and rattling radiators spewing water also have a cycle guard lwco i dont really care for
  • Jamie Hall
    Have you gotten the book I suggested? Please? And when you do, find out what pressure your boiler is set to cut out at.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • biggz
    i appreciate your input i will get the book but afterwards its good for the knowledge but as for my problem i would rather pay someone to fix and get it right im a working man too but really thank you

Have you gotten the book I suggested? Please? And when you do, find out what pressure your boiler is set to cut out at.

• biggz
    im a paramedic i can knock around the house minor things but i dont fancy myself with plumbing or electrical
  • Jamie Hall
    The reason I ask about pressure is that there is a chance -- actually a pretty good chance -- that at least some of your problems aren't plumbing or anything like that -- but simply the setting on a dial on a control on your boiler.

If you can be a paramedic, you can fiddle with that.

If you were to take a picture of the boiler and post that, we could locate the control in question and then either see what it was set at -- or ask for a clearer picture of it. And then see if it is mis-set, and tell you how to reset it if it is. Which might help with some of your problems until you can get someone out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • biggz
    ok thanks guy i fugure something out i think checked the glass tube thing too much water was in there so i drained some water out it was very slow though like sludge but if came out it auto feed back to level and ya know what the banging stopped not sure if thats the fix but banging and radiator spewing water gone simple as that ..but that sludge thing what is that can a boiler be flushed...

The reason I ask about pressure is that there is a chance -- actually a pretty good chance -- that at least some of your problems aren't plumbing or anything like that -- but simply the setting on a dial on a control on your boiler.

If you can be a paramedic, you can fiddle with that.

If you were to take a picture of the boiler and post that, we could locate the control in question and then either see what it was set at -- or ask for a clearer picture of it. And then see if it is mis-set, and tell you how to reset it if it is. Which might help with some of your problems until you can get someone out.