Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulation / Reflector Behind C. I. Baseboard

Options
ScoutRider
ScoutRider Member Posts: 22
Any specific suggestion for what to use behind my cast iron baseboards? I know originally paper was used, but I'd like to know what others have used successfully here-

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    Eh? What is the wall finish which they are up against? Most installations one just runs the wall finish right on down to the floor -- since the baseboards take the place of the baseboard trim which might otherwise be there -- and let it go at that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ryanwc
    ryanwc Member Posts: 50
    Options
    Do new cast iron baseboards come with reflective material at the back. We put some sort of reflective panel behind our antique CI radiators to avoid heating the external wall, but I assume they build that in these days.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    You really need a bit of an air gap for reflective foil to work properly. That is the concept behind the radiant barrier foil insulation used in attics and below radiant tube in joist bays.

If the aluminum touches the warm baseboard you would have a conduction transfer the opposite way. I think?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    Base Ray does recommend reflective insulation behind baseray.. Mineral insulation with sheet metal over it would work if you have enough room