Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Don't Let The Homeowner watch you do the Installer Set Up on Tstats

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
edited October 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Got a new hot water boiler install fired up on Sat.
HO called last night saying he could not control the temp and had water on the floor.
Switched the power off.
Went there and the Tstat was set to Celsius rather than Fahrenheit.
The tsat temp in the house indicated 76F when I left on Sat.
So sure it was in the F mode rather than C.

Apparently he changed some of the set up settings, going from F to C.
He had watched me do the set up on the HW Focus Pro 5000.

So he did admit to reading the set up book for operation rather than HO book.

And it did get 90 in the house overnight, max setting...relief valve was dribbling.
It is about 80F ambient today.

So now he knows to operate the tstat with only 1 finger...1 button at a time.

This is why I lock the screens on the programable Vision Pros at churches and schools.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    That doesn't always work. At a church I care for I finally had to install a remote thermostat in the truly locked boiler room with a the sensor in the sanctuary -- and a very nice programmable thermostat in the sanctuary which wasn't connected to anything... it wasn't the priest, it was the altar guild people...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    A Focus pro 5000.
    What does that have, like 5 settings? Someone actually messed that up?

I thought that was all dip switches?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    ChrisJ said:

A Focus pro 5000.
    What does that have, like 5 settings? Someone actually messed that up?

I thought that was all dip switches?

Never, ever underestimate the ability of folks to mess things up...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_ManSTEVEusaPAkcopp
  • JUGHNE
    The tstats for the church can have the screen locked so only the temp can be changed. It then reverts back to the original settings when the next time period comes around. No one would study the book. There are about 70+ functions in the installer set up. #67 will get you to the screen lock. 0 = no lock....1= partial lock (temp change only)....2=complete lock.

The 5000 is set up with the 4 buttons on the front.
    The far left and the temp up buttons pushed together put you into the installer set up.
    Up to 28 choices, however going to 2 wire heating only limits you to maybe 5-6 choices. One of which is F or C.

So for the HO, 1 finger...1 button only.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Some times my owner training sessions consist of me pointing out everything that they shouldn't touch. Once or twice we stopped responding to places where they couldn't keep their fingers out of the stats.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Had a warm air furnace in a town DPW garage. They left the stat set at 55 and the guys would come in in the morning and crank the heat up and make coffee then leave without turning it down.

We put an air temp sensor in the return air and ran of that with the fan on continuous. Left the old stat on the wall so they could play with that all day even though the other end was disconnected they swore it still worked :)

This was before all the fancy new stats and remote sensors
  • JUGHNE
    This HO is in his early 80's....so we must cut him some slack.

He is still a good mechanic, semi driver etc.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I've actually been pre programming my thermostats before I even put them in the van for stock. That way, I dont have to worry about anyone looking over my shoulder. I just put it on the wall, connect the wires and show them how to move the temp up and down. 

Always wire digital stats for at least 3 wire, I hate no heat calls due to a dead AAA battery! 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    One word; T87
    Rick
    kcopp
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    One word; T87 Rick
    That's not a word.
    It's also not an option for contractors installing new equipment.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Solid_Fuel_Man