Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cleaning my first co. air handler and sprayed coil cleaner on heating side. Issue?

I was cleaning the evaporator coil for my ac portion of my hyrdronic air handler. I thought the heating coil seemed a little dirty too. So, I sprayed some cleaner on there and then notice, like a knuckle head, that there is no pan under that really. So, I didn't soak it, but could not rinse it. I turned the ac on and within a few minutes when I went to open the cover, the heating side was bone dry from the air blowing over it. Do I need to rinse this stuff off of it? It is Pro KLEEN evaporator coil cleaner. Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Check the data sheet for it. But probably not a problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,842
    Why do you have to clean them? If you change your filters regularly it’s not needed. 
    If there’s enough dust and dirt on them how’s the fan blades?
  • clydesdale
    clydesdale Member Posts: 46
    To be honest, I just decided to clean the ac coil because I had not ever done it in the 5 years I have been in this house. The ac seems to be running longer than usual, so I thought there might be a problem. The piping is very cold outside and the drain is pouring out water. I searched on the next and it appears that this maint is supposed to be done, so I went for it. But, then I saw the heating coil and I figured I would spray that down too. By the way, my coils did not look nearly as dirty as the ones I saw on the tutorials on the net. So, I think my filter is working fine.