Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thread sealant for CPVC to stainless heat-exchanger connection

Raimund
Raimund Member Posts: 4
Howdy everyone,

Can anyone with the experience share recommendations on sealing 2" SCH80 CPVC Nipples into the female connection on the Maxi-Flow stainless pool heat exchangers.
I am gearing up to install 3 of these on a solar-pool heating job.
Triangle tube's recommendation is Loctite 5113.
Rectorseal Blue + is approved for CPVC as well.
I was leaning towards either one over 2 wraps of tape.

I'd appreciate your input.

R

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I would go with Triangle Tube's recommendation. Between the machining differences and different expansion rates associated with the PVC to metal connection, you need a product that is designed for the application.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I prefer Flange Connections when joining plastic to metal. 
    RPK
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    Raimund said:

Howdy everyone,

Can anyone with the experience share recommendations on sealing 2" SCH80 CPVC Nipples into the female connection on the Maxi-Flow stainless pool heat exchangers.
    I am gearing up to install 3 of these on a solar-pool heating job.
    Triangle tube's recommendation is Loctite 5113.
    Rectorseal Blue + is approved for CPVC as well.
    I was leaning towards either one over 2 wraps of tape.

I'd appreciate your input.

R

When we perform this interface we use the original Full lenght Triangle Tube 2" stainless steel nipples with either Blue monster tape or better yet a roughted up thread with hemp to the HX (European Style connection)...

As for the CPVC connection to the 2" SS Nipple: The Pool and Spa guy that we work with only uses a clear Silicon on the MIP which has proven to be leak free.

Especially with a solar interface and due to the possibillty of the high temps distorting the even CPVC materials,we have seen problems with reoccuring leaks if a MIP CPVC fitting is installed directly into the HX.

IMO the SS nipples are pricey but worth the investment...

Hope this helps.
    Richard.
  • Raimund
    Raimund Member Posts: 4
    Howdy Richard,

I agree on the SS Nipples and will go that route. I hate having to go back for stuff like that.

Someone down here recommended tape and blue RTV sealant for the CPVC to HX connection. Silcone must be just stretchy enough to hold.

Thanks everyone for the input, great to be able to just throw things like that out "there"

R
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    https://www.spearsmfg.com/prod_brochures/BLU-2-0200_1010.pdf

I’m curious why one wouldn’t just use the thread compound made by the pipe manufacturer.

We use this stuff on hundreds, probably thousands of joints per year and I’ve never heard of a leak.  This is on 2 1/2”-6” threaded connections between sch 80 PVC and steel.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,524
    edited July 2021
    KC_Jones said:

https://www.spearsmfg.com/prod_brochures/BLU-2-0200_1010.pdf

I’m curious why one wouldn’t just use the thread compound made by the pipe manufacturer.

We use this stuff on hundreds, probably thousands of joints per year and I’ve never heard of a leak.  This is on 2 1/2”-6” threaded connections between sch 80 PVC and steel.

We have found that due to the "Perfect" threads on the larger diameter (1 1/4" to 6") Stainless our choices on sealants are very limited.
    Therefore on SS to Steel/CU/Brass we perfer to use old School european connecting techniques using hemp with dope ..

Recently we stated using blue monster tape on the smaller SS connections such as a 3/4" domestic exspanion tanks would consist of.

On SS to CPVC the "Spa Guy"that we work with just uses Silicon on the threads which is based a very large amount of leak free installs..

I am currious if you are using this Sealant with STAINLESS STEEL (not regular Steel) to CPVC connections or just for sch 80 PVC to regular steel connectinons?
    I did not see anything in the Spears information about STAINLESS to CPVC or STAINLESS to BRASS connections.