Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen and Bathroom Faucet

zoulas
zoulas Member Posts: 29
edited July 2021 in Plumbing
I know this may not be the place to ask but I figure you guys are brilliant and may know. I am looking for a few kitchen and bathroom faucets. The main brands are Kholer, American Standard, Delta, and Moen. Any idea which one is best as far as construction is concerned? I dont care about bells and whistles, I care they it lasts a long time dont drip and cause problems. Thanks

Comments

• SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    edited July 2021
    I installed Toto's in my bathrooms this year. They seemed extremely well built and had some weight to them.
  • zoulas
    I just looked at their web site. Very $$ but I guess you get what you pay for.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    I use mostly Moen and Kohler.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Water quality affects all plumbing components. My father's house built in the early 40's has the original toilet. The guts were replace twice in 80 years. My house, remodeled over the last 15 years, guts in all 3 toilets replaced twice, kitchen faucet once, bathroom faucets repaired once each.
    Just don't buy anything you can't get replacement parts rather easily.
    steve
    kcopp
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    kohler is great, american standard is really good. chicago faucet is built like a tank. Someone asked this question a few months ago if you look for that thread... Moen and Delta used to be decent, very durable budget brand faucets but they have raised their prices so much that you might as well spend the 20% more for the higher end stuff.
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    I am a delta fan. I have all delta faucets in my home and in the past 20 years have not replaced any parts.
    Delta has a life time warrantee on all thier faucets and will send parts for free, or you can by parts at home depot for a very reasonable price, the more expensive parts can be had for free at delta.

Jake
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    You can order from home depot and get for less than what is listed on Toto's web site. I don't know why.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    I'll vote for Moen. The cartridges usually aren't too difficult to replace and the pressure drop through their valves seems to be low. Parts are easy to find.

Yours, Larry
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    The best faucets in my opinion are T&S Brass, bar none.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    Have used Kohler and Delta for the past forty-plus years. They both have a great track record. They rarely, if ever disapoint.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Check the model you buy for the aerator replacement, as some brands have one which is not standard, and needs a supplied key to change it.—NBC
  • zoulas
    T&S looks like something a restaurant would use.
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    zoulas said:
    Restaurants hospitals and doctors offices.
    The first place I saw one was when my first son was born.

They're the opposite of "pretty residential garbage".
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Intplm.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Recently, I found it very maddening to search in F.W. Webbs for a client's faucet needs (kit. and bath) and I noticed the new style of aerators--WITHOUT a plastic "key" in the box. I started looking in different boxes for that "key". I think I found one box that had one (can't remember the brand). I was getting angry. One of the salespersons on the desk started Googling for that style of "key." Yes, you can of course BUY complete "variety sets" of those plastic aerator "keys"--they're ALL DIFFERENT. Surprise! By this time I was quite angry. I live in a region with hard water, and lots of old houses, and rural drilled wells. Aerators get PLUGGED UP frequently. All I can do now is to warn the client and say "good luck with that." I don't like "dinging" a client for subsequent service calls to CLEAN OUT AERATORS. Even if the kits CONTAINED KEYS..."who" is going to KEEP TRACK of it for the life of the fixture? That is my rant. Done.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • mattmia2
    zoulas said:

So does chicago faucet. but they'll last forever.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,977
    edited July 2021
    If a customer lives in a house that has old, galvanized water pipes, I recommend Chicago faucets because they have large waterways that won't clog with mineral debris from the old pipes.

And then I replace the quaturn cartridges with the ones that Zurn makes:

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    i haven't looked at their stuff in a while, but gerber used to make very heavy duty but maybe not so stylish but less expensive stuff.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Wolverine Brass faucets without a doubt the best if you are looking for durability
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    Whatever brand you choose I recommend laminar flow and ditch the aerator. Aerators have been found to cross contaminate the air in hospitals spreading bad nasty's in the operating rooms clean stations. Often leading to higher than normal death rates. Yes, great plumbers protect the safety of our nation.
    Intplm.