Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dwell

Intplm.
Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
edited June 2021 in Strictly Steam
What position is used when setting up the dwell period on a Mcdonnell & Miller water feeder? There are three choices? How do you figure which one is best without having to go back to the boiler at a later date?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Best educated guess base on the size of the boiler and how long it takes the feeder to fill from the on point to the off point
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    @EBEBRATT-Ed . My thoughts as well. I have even asked ITT reps in the past. They haven't been able to offer an answer either.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    Water pressure and how fast the condensate returns in that particular system are going to be kind of hard to guess without a lot of experience.
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    mattmia2 said:

Water pressure and how fast the condensate returns in that particular system are going to be kind of hard to guess without a lot of experience.

@mattmia2 . every time I turn around I have something new to learn. I like learning new things but I think what you are saying is that this setting is something you would probably have to have a "feel for"? rather than, say, strictly applying numbers to the selection? This setting on this unit, ( I haven't done a lot of them) has always left me a little puzzled.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Intplm. said:

mattmia2 said:

@mattmia2 . every time I turn around I have something new to learn. I like learning new things but I think what you are saying is that this setting is something you would probably have to have a "feel for"? rather than, say, strictly applying numbers to the selection? This setting on this unit, ( I haven't done a lot of them) has always left me a little puzzled.
    Every system is different. Even the best of the best are kind of guesstimating... but it can't hurt to start off with a longer dwell and a shorter feed time and shorten the dwell if needed -- or lengthen the feed time. Having the boiler shut off a few extra times on low water, or staying off slightly longer, is nowhere near as messy as overfilling...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Thank you @Jamie Hall and @mattmia2 Your sage advice is most welcomed.