Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler for Summer

melo
melo Member Posts: 43
edited May 2021 in Strictly Steam
New home owner here. 

What do I do with my steam boiler for the summer? It’s a crown boiler. 

Currently it has the pilot light on and everything is pretty much on. Do I empty the water out, turn off the pilot light, and close off the gas pipe? 

What’s the procedure for leaving it alone for the summer months until it’s needed again later on? 

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    The Lost Art book seems to imply that draining it is the thing to do.

I don't feel the urge to do that. I'm going the opposite direction and filling it up to about the header making sure the ph level is 10-11 to slow corrosion.

The thinking here is to move the water level out of the boiler because the most corrosion tends to occur at the water level. Whether this matters in the life of the boiler is difficult to prove. Maybe all the corrosion happens during the heating season.

Turn off the gas supply to your standing pilot. How do you still have a standing pilot? :)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Honestly I just leave Cedric alone... he runs occasionally on the cooler mornings.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Yeah, leave it alone
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    I use mine for DHW on an indirect tank. Once the cool mornings are over (I use heat pump only above 50F), I flood it 3-4” into the supply header. I add some more 8-way if I haven’t treated in recently depending on the color.

Honestly, I ran it when flooded to the top of the sight glass a few times and it actually ran fine since I have a drop header. Gauge just showed a few oz slightly higher pressure. No hammer at all.
    ethicalpaul
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited May 2021
    I overfill mine slightly and let it boil for a while (heat several sections of the radiators) just to make sure all of the dissolved O2 is gone. Then I leave it for the summer.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment