Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wet return pipes

GraceMaria
GraceMaria Member Posts: 8
edited May 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Please, if a Pro can advice me about the wet return pipe in my boiler system! Thank you in advance for your kind help! I'd like to know what is best and durable in the wet return in the boiler, copper or black pipe?
The wet return in my boiler was black pipe who got rotten after 25+ years. Last week,  (May 6th, 2021) I hired a plumber and he replaced the wet return line and used copper pipe! Before he started, I told him that I need the black pipe as it was, but he said cooper pipe is more expensive therefore better. 
(Without asking he eliminated the drain that was in the floor!) On Saturday 8th, I turned the boiler on and the water feeder didn't stop calling for water. I checked and found the floor in the next room completely wet. The leak was coming from the welded elbow inside the wall. He came yesterday, (May 13th) to fix the leak and he used hot and cool welding but I'm not confident it will last. The boiler wasn't in use, it's off, but today is empty and the copper pipe have a leak in another place. Advice please! Much appreciated!

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Can you send some pictures of the pipes you are talking about?

He eliminated a drain in your floor???
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • GraceMaria

• GraceMaria

• GraceMaria

• GraceMaria

• GraceMaria
    Some of the pics. Thanks!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @GraceMaria

Copper is fine for a wet return and will last longer.......not an issue. Copper should not be used on the steam supply so you are ok the way you are.

Problem is in your plumbers workmanship........it's lacking. And if it had a drain valve before he should have put one back.

try" find a contractor" on this site and post your location if you can't get this resolved
  • GraceMaria

• GraceMaria
    edited May 2021
    When I asked him about the drain valve, He said that I don't need the drain in the floor. That this feature was optional. 
    My main concern was because I have to make a new flooring and I don't want to be damaged because a leaking problem next winter.
    Thank you so much all for your kind help! I'll try to find a contractor here when I need one! Thanks!

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Copper's fine. If it's done right. That is horrible...

The drain valve is needed. It makes it possible to flush that wet return if it ever needs it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Copper piping is good for the wet return pipes, but should be resting on bricks, and not just lying on a concrete floor, where it can react chemically with the lime.
    Its diameter appears small as well, so may need annual flushing out, through that missing drain valve.
    Also I would route it in such a way as not to be a tripping hazard.—NBC 
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    I have seen some nasty work in my time but this comes close to taking the cake.
    This guy calls himself a plumber, I don't think so. I had helpers with one year experience that soldered work for domestic water that had no leaks.
    If I were you I would try to find a contractor that can do the work and guarantee no leaks. Additionally, the copper pipe should be no less than 1" pipe.

I would have the contractor put 2X4" blocks of wood under the pipe and securer the pie with c clamps.
    The copper pipe should not lay flat on the floor, additionally beware of tripping hazzards.

Jake