Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best TRV for Steam - 2 pipe system

Steamed2
Steamed2 Member Posts: 8
We are fitting a 44 unit condo with TRVs on every radiator -- does anyone have any recommendation which TRVs are the most durable for this type of application. Appreciate any thoughts on the matter...

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Danfoss offers a whole line of steam TRV. If it is installed according to instructions, they last forever.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    What is controlling the boiler?--NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I have had pretty good luck with Danfoss
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Consider Macon from https://www.tunstall-inc.com/macon-controls/. Tunstall's knowledge and service is as good as it gets.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Scott.Malo
    Scott.Malo Member Posts: 23
    Hi Steamed2! My name is Scott Malo and I am the Director of Energy Solutions for Tunstall Corporation. We would love to help you on your TRV project. Please feel free to call 413-862-7923 or email me at smalo@tunstall-inc.com and we can help!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    TRV’s work well on hot water systems, but on steam systems are more of a bandaid for a hot spot, on an unbalanced, poorly vented system. Think of them as brakes for a car with a stuck accelerator linkage.
    I would get the system well adjusted before putting any TRV’s on.—NBC
    KC_Jones
  • Scott.Malo
    Scott.Malo Member Posts: 23
    TRV's work very well on steam systems. We participate in many projects annually where TRV's are installed. Most often, these old radiators and convectors have a burned out hand valve and the tenants are using the window as the thermostat. Getting a TRV with a temperature limiting thermostat will get that overheated rad/conv under control. Done throughout the entire building and you will see some significant energy savings and a return to some tenant comfort.
    ReLoGal
  • Stuart Rogers
    Stuart Rogers Member Posts: 49
    I live in a 25-unit apt. building from 1925. We have installed TRVs on almost all radiators, primarily Honeywell but with a few Danfoss. In my own apartment there are 7 rads; 5 H'well and 2 Danfoss. The H'wells with remote sensors have had to be replaced a couple of times. Never had a problem with the Danfoss.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    What turns on your boiler, Stuart? Is your system one pipe or two?—NBC
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Never heard of a problem with TRVs on two pipe steam when they're installed on all terminals. HHW is a different situation.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    I just wonder how to prevent the inside sensor of a building steam control from fighting with the TRV’s on the radiators.
    Many hot water systems will rely on the outside temperature for control of the loop water temperature, and the TRV’s on the radiators can prevent any hotspots.
    Maybe this is where a bit of vacuum can help with any imbalance, or heating response lag.—NBC
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,228
    Good question but generally TRVs don't care about steam pressure so long that there is some. Ideally 44 unit building has multiple boilers so one undersized boiler runs continuously. Setback can actually work with two pipe steam TRVs.

I just wonder how to prevent the inside sensor of a building steam control from fighting with the TRV’s on the radiators.
    Many hot water systems will rely on the outside temperature for control of the loop water temperature, and the TRV’s on the radiators can prevent any hotspots.
    Maybe this is where a bit of vacuum can help with any imbalance, or heating response lag.—NBC

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited April 2021
    Just installing trvs may create additional problems. You should concentrate on finding good contractor, not trvs.
    KC_Jones
  • Steamed2
    Steamed2 Member Posts: 8

This is our boiler -- it is a 2 piped steam system...
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    First of all, calculate the EDR of the radiation using one of the charts from somewhere here, and verify that it matches the square feet of steam rating of your boiler.
    Next, check the traps, on the radiators, and any crossover traps for function,
    Make sure the air can get out of the pipes quickly, through an adequate main vent, such as a Gorton #2, or a big mouth vent.
    Choose your boiler control, which may be regulated by outdoor or indoor temperature, (sensor in the most exposed section of the building). I like indoor control for my 55 radiators, but others may be carrying a torch for Tekmar or Heatimer, outdoor control. Radiators near the indoor sensor, must NOT have TRV’s. My view of them is as a solution for an individual oversized radiator to reduce its heat, and not as a building control.—NBC