Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connection a mini split to a 50 amp RV outlet

Options
I want to knock down the temp in my garage and was wondering if I can tap the 50 amp RV outlet in my garage to run a mini split 220 unit? 

Comments

• Ctoilman
    Ctoilman Member Posts: 105
    Options
    Plenty powerful circuit, I'd do it, but where you going to put the smaller minisplit breaker?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    no, not without wiring and protecting it for one or the other.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    That’s one honking huge garage if you need a 50 mini split system. Might want to check with an electrician. If you burn the joint down, you don’t want to be arguing with the insurance adjuster 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Do you not have an electrical panel in the garage?
    You probably cannot use the plug for both. If you want to repurpose that circuit and just use it for the mini split, that would be doable. You would need to change the breaker so it is rated for the mini split.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    You would need to properly fuse the for the line being used and properly fuse for the load or equipment . Surge protector is a good idea .
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • I812
    I812 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The mini split will be just a few feet from the existing outlet. I can put the air handler just above the outlet and the compressor unit directly on the other side of the wall.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options
    The concern is overcurrent protection of the feeders between the existing circuit and the mini split. Me, I'd remove the recept. & replace the 50 amp breaker that's feeding the RV circuit with whatever's called for on the mini split (25A?), but that would mean you'd loose the capability of plugging in to shore power. If you wanted to keep the recept, add a small subpanel.

Pay attention to bonding and grounding—they're distinct entities; & not always intuitive.

I812
  • I812
    Options
    I live in Surprise Arizona and it looks like I’ll need to find a Electrican who can do the sub panel hard wiring. Anyone local to Phoenix interested?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Are you certain your RV outlet is 220 volts?
    Many are large 120 volt that look like 220 outlets.
    mattmia2I812Zman
  • mattmia2
    Options
    They are usually either a 120v 30a tt-30 or a 120/240v 50a 14-50.
    I812
  • I812
    Options
    shows you what I know.... it is connect to a two switch 50 amp breaker so I thought it was 220 but I am clueless on this stuff. Everyone’s help is much appreciated as this is my first rodeo on this. I’ll send a picture. 
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options
    That's a NEMA 14-50R & is indeed 240 volts, although it has a neutral for 120 volt loads as well.

Set a small (4 circuit) panelboard, use two spaces to refeed that recept & the other to feed the mini split with an appropriately sized circuit. You may run in to trouble using both the RV recept and the mini split at the same time (tripping the feeder breaker in the house), but I think that's not going to occur too often.

• mattmia2
    Options
    Sere discussion about load calculations and breakers being to protect from faults, not overloads from improper design.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Add info ....Check your voltage , critical to keep it with in middle the range of the unit working voltage . If not a boost buck transformer would be a good idea .. Just installed a system in a cabin with 253V needed one to buck it down to 217V .....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    IIWM, I would remove the outlet, install a metal box extension on the existing.
    Then 1" pipe up to new panel from extension, splice all 4 wires in old box and run them up to feed new CB panel. Then in same pipe run new 4 wires down to outlet installed on extension box.
    Run pipe from CB box out to outside unit.