Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER......

Jackmartin
Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
I am retired age and a need for a knee replacement ended my fun.However, I do some consulting now I useless as a tradesmen. I recieved a call about a boiler system that was literally cooking the tenants, could I have a look. So, checked  it out, as Dan days crank it down. The settings were out of wack, plus some other issues. I recommended they install ounce controls on the two boilers to get tight pressure curves and I left feeling like a Dan Holohan, boy was I out to lunch. The super phoned about a week and a half later told me the contractor they use put the new controls on and you could still.fty an egg on the door frames, so I shook my head and went to have a look. Well the controls were on and the brainiac that installed them set the cutin and cutout pressures hard against each other they could not turn off if they wanted to, so much for  ounce pressure being more accurate. Sheesh.
Nom_Deplumeethicalpaul

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Best way is to bench test with a pneumatic squeez bulb. The you don't have to hang around watching the boiler cycle.

Most of us on the forum could work forever if we wanted too. The will be digging us up to go on service calls. Sad but true. Not too many superstars coming up the road
    GroundUpethicalpaul
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    The steam pressure in the heating system is not why the building is overheating. You have a steam distribution problem. You need to be able to control the amount of steam entering each heating device. Zone type valves, thermostatic radiator valves, and/or some type of room temperature control, to limit the amount of steam entering the heating device is necessary. You could try some type of indoor/outdoor control device to control the run time of the boiler based on the outside temperature. This type control will not always be the best answer and may not solve all your overheating, but it may help. They need some type of room temperature control.

@EBEBRATT-ED Too many of the new guys just want to or are instructed to just " change a part" without learning how each item functions as part of the whole system. I have seen people change just about every expensive part on a device when the real problem was a loose or burnt contact or a blown control fuse. I always tried to instruct the new guys to "stop, look and listen" (remember the train thing) before jumping in and changing a part. Learn how the system works. Keep up the good work. My 2 cents.
    Intplm.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    @retiredguy

I was never a parts changer. Sometimes you have to take a chance and change a part without knowing for sure.

To me it's like being a doctor. I think what a lot of people miss is when you can't find the problem and nothing is jumping out at you they tend to get tunnel vision. Finding the problem sometimes you can't until you start ruling out other parts.
    SuperTech
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited April 2021
    "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." If it wasn't for the pain, we would all want to live forever and I don't think that's the way it's suppose to be. A lived life is in the application and not in the finished product, I think. In other words, it's the doing that counts, not necessarily success.
    Larry WeingartenSuperTech
  • aperson
    aperson Member Posts: 66
    Yeh. Well, bubby you better be successfull if you show up at my house charging $100 bucks an hour.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    edited April 2021
    aperson said:

Yeh. Well, bubby you better be successfull if you show up at my house charging $100 bucks an hour.

I wouldn't get out of bed for only 100.00/Hr.

I guess that is why I sleep so much these days
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ratioethicalpaulCanucker
  • aperson
    What is your time worth?
  • aperson
    If I knew I was paying for no nonsense, skilled, quality work I wouldn't mind paying $300 an hour, if the work was tight and right and the thing ran smoothly and was fixed. That would be heaven. But then where would be the desperate nights trying to clean a chunk of debris off the pilot sensor that you've had cleaned off by techs 3X only to knock off a chunk 1/16 inch thick and never have it come back, and then there was the time trying to clean the whole pilot assembly who knew a compression fitting was so important. And of course I never would have purged my own boiler, am still working on uploading pictures of those bubbles.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited April 2021
    What is your time worth?

The older one gets, the more it is worth. :)
    The supply and demand factor kicks in.
    ethicalpaul
  • aperson
    To you it is worth more. Maybe we all need to value our time more. Yet this country does not mandate a living wage.