Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

removing all parts of check valve from circulator

Nom_Deplume
Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello...I am replacing a failing Grundfos 15-58 FC circulator with the same model. One of the isolation valves contains a check valve. Grundfos manual says to remove the check valve in the circulator with needlenose pliers and to make sure I get all parts out.

I took most of it out, but, there is a ring at the back of the check valve (white ring in photo) that is the same color as the rest of the check valve, but which cannot be pulled out with a needlenose. Is this supposed to come out, i.e. does it interfere with the flow? If yes, how do I take it out? I considered melting it with a propane torch but then decided to ask here instead. Just joking. Many thanks! (PS I am the homeowner.)

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Just use a flat head screwdriver to pop it out.
    kcoppEdTheHeaterMan
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    It's hard to get it to pop out, but it'll come. Pry with a screwdriver like suggested above, but try to not scratch the casting when it pops out.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Or the other option is to take a hacksaw blade and cut from the middle to the outside. That will loosen up the plastic.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    An O-ring pick tool, or bend the end of a small nail, like a finishing nail. Then you can lift it out easily. It is a snug fit. Or a small chisel and split that piece.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2HomerJSmithCanucker
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,630
    Or any piece of stiff wire and bend a hook in the end. Are we sure that is part if the check valve and not some sort of orifice?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    Yes, it's part of the check.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    But some muscle into it, it will come out with a screwdriver. I recall my leatherman tool (needle nose) works a little better too, just gotta pry it out 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I always used a small, bent pick. 
    Steve Minnich
    Zman
  • Nom_Deplume
    Nom_Deplume Member Posts: 91
    Thanks everyone! None of the tools I had (pick, screwdriver, needlenose, handsaw) got a grip on this thing. Finally I drilled a small hole in it and then cut it open by pushing the rotating drillbit sideways. It is quite hard plastic. I blew on the other end to get the plastic chips out, but can only hope I got all of them.