Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Argo arm 3p shuts off when water comes to temp

Dan724
Dan724 Member Posts: 9
I'm hoping for some guidance. I have a peerless boiler with coil. I had an issue with Argo control board and circulator pump short due to water damage.i have replaced the board and pump. However the board looses power when water comes to temp. I shut breaker after a while power comes back. Water comes to temp shuts off. Any archive would be appreciated.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    The entire board loses power? Are you sure it's wired right and set up right?
    How about some pictures?
    steve
    Dan724
  • Dan724
    Yes wired just like the original. How does the board take to rest
  • Dan724

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2021
    Is priority switch 'on'? Also, what's hooked up to ZC/ZR? I assume they are on the same terminals as the aquastat but it's worth another look to see if ZC goes to ZC and ZR-ZR. Also that relay is de-energized when the boiler temp signals the low limit to fire the burner.
    Type of equipment-make/model #? Make/model # of aquastat?
    steve
  • Dan724
    No priorty switch is not on. Yes confirmed zr and zc. Honeywell stat no model number I can see.. The board powers off when water hits temp. How long does it to rest. It took a while is there a time limit or can reset board?
  • Dan724
    Honeywell triple aquastat relay. Type l8124a, c
  • Dan724
    Peerless ec 03 100 wpct
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Probably a silly question -- but when the board "shuts off", do you still have 120 VAC on the line terminals? You should -- and if not, why not?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Dan724
  • Dan724
    Hi James , yes I have confirmed 120 power to the board at the terminals
  • Dan724
    edited April 2021
    Does anyone know how the electronic fuse auto shutoff works? How long till reset?
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    Those low voltage t-stat wires look burnt. Whats the TT on the Honeywell connected to? Why are you not using the end switch on the Argo?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    If L (Black) on the Argo panel goes directly to L1 on the aquastat, then what's powering the aquastat? It looks like Hot, Neutral, ZR (Red) and ZC (Yellow) all come through the same conduit into the aquastat. Is there a splice or switch box between? Maybe a loose connection in the box. Hot or Neutral. 
    There is no timer or reset. The panel should be constantly powered. Circulator power is controlled by ZR,ZC.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2021
    The electronic fuse should not be activated (open circuit) under normal operation. The amount of time it takes to reset will depend on the load that caused the fuse to trip. That said, do you believe the fuse is tripping? If so, have you checked to see if there is 24 V at the board where indicated by the red circle?

If you have 24V there then the fuse is not tripped. If you do not have 24V there then you need to find out why the 24 V circuit is overloaded.

How many zones total? I see 2 on the ARGO... is there one on the L8124 aquastat also for a total of 3 zones?
    How many Circulator Pumps are there in your system? If you only have 2 circulators and 2 thermostats, then there should not be any wires connected to the T T terminals on the L8124 control. I believe that may be where you are getting your overcurrent that is tripping the ARGO electronic fuse.

According to the ARGO instructions, the circulators should not operate if the boiler L8124 control is below the minimum temperature to make DHW. This means the burner is operating.

The way I am reading your query, the burner stops because the boiler is up to temperature for DHW and the ARGO does not allow the heating zone circulators to operate. Did I get that right?

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Dan724
    Thanks for the advice! I had to end up changing out the aquastat. Expensive weekend.