Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Press tool - M12 or M18?

bhamberg
bhamberg Member Posts: 22
Looking to add a Milwaukee press tool to our arsenal. We primarily do residential rehabs and, from what I can remember, have never needed to sweat anything larger than 1".

Is there any advantage to purchasing the M18 version over the M12?

The GUY in me says go for the bigger (voltage haha), but the cheap side of me says save (almost) 50% and get the one that'll work for what you need it to do.

Side note: we'd also pick up the "G" jaws for gas pipe (if that makes a difference in choices. )

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    https://comparisontalk.com/m12-vs-m18-press-tool/
    I have the Ridgid RP340, big and heavy. I wouldn't mind the M12 for up to an 1" and repairs.
    steve
    bhambergAlan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited March 2021
    I am on the same fence as you and have not made the move as of yet . It took me years before I first used Pex . What I understand you would need the larger M18 for gas piping which would take me a lot longer to get over the fear ...

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • bhamberg
    edited March 2021
    Big Ed_4 said:

I am on the same fence as you and have not made the move as of yet . It took me years before I first used Pex . What I understand you would need the larger M18 for gas piping which would take me a lot longer to get over the fear ...

Actually the M12 will handle IPS up to 1" as well! (imagine no more threading and or piecing together pieces :# )

What sucks is I already have the M18 PEX version (2674) (which I love - BTW) and now I see there are PEX jaws for the M12 as well.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited March 2021
    I am a A Pex user not a crimper . For reasons known .. I just set up a new truck and left space for another set of fittings . Same as you , mostly used are up to 1" for anything Larger I still have a torch . With gas piping I will still thread with a machine .Still it will cost $ setting up for a new system .. Instead of charging a torch fee it will be a crimping fee
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    bhamberg
  • realliveplumber
    realliveplumber Member Posts: 354
    Definitely M12. Compact size and light weight. It does up to 1 1/4 copper. look into the ridgid Swivel jaws for tight spots. Ridgid copper jaws work with the M12.

We have a Ridgid Rp340 that sits on the floor in the shop since we got the M 12's
    bhambergSTEVEusaPAsunlight33
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I own both and of course when I can I prefer the M12. Sadly on ALL copper fittings (not brass) no matter the brand that 3/4 head sticks so bad after I press it that it takes beating on the jaws with a tool to release it. Perhaps thats just a problem on my 3/4" head, but man it stinks. I have had it happen only a few times with the M12 on 1/2" and 1". I hate that tool on 3/4" but love it for the weight and size
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    bhamberg
  • realliveplumber
    I have that problem with my 1/2" jaws, almost need a hammer to get them open. I usually have to crank on the tool to get them open.

My 3/4 jaws work perfect.
  • Tom_133
    @realliveplumber

If you want I will send you my 3/4 head and you send me your good working 3/4, then you will have that problem with both and will grow accustom to dealing with the headache all the time!

J/K
    Tom
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    realliveplumberbhamberg
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    I have to say, knock on wood no issues with my jaws. 

Have you tried oiling them?
  • realliveplumber
    Yes. I think its in the way they were made, they seem to crimp the fitting to a shape that makes the jaw not want to release.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775

Yes. I think its in the way they were made, they seem to crimp the fitting to a shape that makes the jaw not want to release.

Have you contacted Milwaukee with the issue?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    I have the M12 and love it. It will do up to 1 1/4” copper an 1/2 and 3/4” MegaPress with the optional jaws.

The problem with the jaws sticking on copper is due to the looser tolerances in the cheaper fittings. Try using a little silicone grease on the jaws and make sure that the fitting is fully seated in them before pulling the trigger.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • I have the smaller Ridgid which does copper to 1-1/4". I also have the jaws for 1/2" and 3/4" Megapress (gas and water). Whenever I need the larger tool, I rent it from my supplier.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • realliveplumber
    We only use Viega fittings. I have tried silicone grease on the jaws, makes no difference.

Now that I think about it, it might actually be Ridgid jaws that are giving me the problem. Ill have to check.
  • Tom_133
    oh cmon @realliveplumber we were in this together!!

Yes I try all the name brands on press fittings with the same issue only on 3/4"
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    realliveplumber
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited March 2021
    I have the smaller Ridgid which does copper to 1-1/4". I also have the jaws for 1/2" and 3/4" Megapress (gas and water). Whenever I need the larger tool, I rent it from my supplier.
    I have same set up with the optional mega press jaws. The small tool footprint and swivel jaws are great

i had a problem with the 3/4” jaws but was able to resolve by cleaning the compression surface of jaws with steel wool then applying a little silicon spray 

Re the fitting type, I’ve used both the Viega and the JW brand sold by SupplyHouse.  My problems have been limited to Viega street fitting in 3/4” size.  Especially when crimping into a Viega 3/4 MPT adapter. 
  • bhamberg
    edited March 2021
    pecmsg said:

Have you contacted Milwaukee with the issue?

Milwaukee Customer Service is USELESS!!!! I tried calling them and sent two emails asking this same (thread) question and never got a response!

• diyfixer
    diyfixer Member Posts: 1
    I thought I would ask a question on this thread that I think is somewhat related to the original post regarding the differences between the M12 and M18. I am curious as to whether there is any interchangeability with the jaws between the M12 force logic and the M18 force logic press tools? Has anyone tried using a jaw made for the M12 in an M18 press? Thanks.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    No, they’re not interchangeable.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEVEusaPA
  • PlumbDog
    PlumbDog Member Posts: 3
    I have both the Milwaukee M12 & M18 Press along with the Ridgid 340. All heads will have issues sticking to fittings eventually if you don't maintain the heads. They should be cleaned often with steel wool or a scotch bright pad. If they are really bad consider a fitting brush.
    bhambergPC7060
  • bhamberg
    PlumbDog said:

I have both the Milwaukee M12 & M18 Press along with the Ridgid 340. All heads will have issues sticking to fittings eventually if you don't maintain the heads. They should be cleaned often with steel wool or a scotch bright pad. If they are really bad consider a fitting brush.

Any reason you have both (M12 & 18)?
  • Tom_133
    Recently my M12 in the colder weather hasn't been squeezing tight enough to seal. The M18 then needs to come in and resqueeze and then we are in business!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • PlumbDog
    PlumbDog Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2022
    bhamberg said:

PlumbDog said:

M12 is the baby, gets into tight places but cannot press larger than 1-1/4". Also the M12 needs to be kept warm, inside overnight in cold weather, otherwise it won't work.
    M18 can press up to 2" and can also press MegaPress steel as well with the correct heads. Also does not mind the cold as much.
    bhamberg
  • Tom_133
    PlumbDog said:

bhamberg said:

PlumbDog said:

M12 is the baby, gets into tight places but cannot press larger than 1-1/4". Also the M12 needs to be kept warm, inside overnight in cold weather, otherwise it won't work.
    M18 can press up to 2" and can also press MegaPress steel as well with the correct heads. Also does night mind the cold as much.
    I agree, too bad when the job site is less than 30 all day that M12 is useless. Thats why I bought both!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt