Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a wall heat to existing radiant heat floor system

Options
cseec
cseec Member Posts: 1
edited March 2021 in Radiant Heating
I have a 5 zone radiant heat system installed 2 years ago. 4 zones are under the floor ,1 zone is baseboards. I'm adding 45 sq. ft. to a bedroom. The addition will be on concrete. Can I add a baseboard heater to the underfloor system?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    You can... but will it heat much? If you are planning to tie into the radiant floor loop, you will need to know what temperature that floor loop runs at. Usually radiant floors run at much lower temperatures than are needed to make a baseboard heater put out much of any heat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    That baseboard will need to have its own loop and pump (or zone valve running off of the boiler pump) connected to the high-temperature portion of the boiler piping. I assume the existing Baseboard zone is already operating from the high-temperature portion of the boiler piping. It should not be any real problem to design that. It can even operate via the same thermostat that operates that low-temperature floor zone. You may need a relay or get creative with the control wiring, but it's doable.

Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?