Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart thermostat with remote sensor

2 story house, 1st floor is a rental and I'm on the 2nd. 
Currently thermostat is in the tenant space. Is there any issue installing the thermostat in the basement at the boiler and having a sensor on 1st and 2nd floor?
If so, what's the go to stat? Just a simple steam boiler system.  No AC or air handler. I work commercial,  so residential is foreign to me....

Thanks!

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I know Tekmar and Honeywell make simple products that will do that. I am sure there are others.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Honeywell 8000 series & 9000 series can both use a wireless equipment module at the boiler & a handful of wireless remote sensors. I'd put the thermostat in my place (it'll need 24VAC, but not necessarily from the boiler) & a remote in the apt.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    Honeywell T10 thermostat can be purchased with two wireless remote sensors.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • lostinheating
    lostinheating Member Posts: 31
    I used ecobee thermostat and depending on structure it probably won't reach. I had few issues w it on first floor through thickest walls. 
  • Timmmy
    Timmmy Member Posts: 14
    I have the Tekmar Invita right now, just checking other options. I'll be demoing the walls in a month, so I can run some new wire for the remote sensor. 
    Thanks for the input.
  • Mike_Breault
    Mike_Breault Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2021
    @Timmmy The invita is nice for Multi Stage application as allthe wiring in the Mech room relay box, only 2 wires to the Stat. Feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Mike B (tekmar)
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    Spend a little more money and make your life easier. Get a Honeywell wireless thermostat that has an Equipment Interface Module (EIM) installed near the boiler and a battery powered thermostat that can be placed anywhere in the house. No connecting wires between the EIM and the thermostat. If you want you can also add to it a wifi module (extra cost) that lets you control the system using an app on your cell phone.

There are several models that have extra features check it out. This is an example. On page 9 it mentions steam.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1249544894162/Honeywell_YTH5320R1017_Install_Guide_InterfaceModule.pdf
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    That URL is a link from the SupplyHouse web site.
  • Timmmy
    Timmmy Member Posts: 14
    Thanks I'll check it out. 
    I'll be pulling down the plaster walls on the 1st, so I can run new wires without issue