Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler installed. Lots of banging

Hi,
We recently installed a new Peerless 64 natural gas steam boiler,  we had an old coal boiler converted. I have it set to .5psi. The installer had it set to 3psi. Lots of knocking. I just got the lost art of steam , and trying to dial in the system.

I'm in the process of checking the pitch of the single pipe radiators, and I'm changing steam vents. 

Does anyone know of any knowledgeable steam guys who might be able to help me? We are located in Kingston,  NY in the Hudson Valley. 

Thank you.

Mook531

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    We've had a problem getting knowledgeable pros in you area. However, I think @SteamingatMohawk at Mohawk isn't too far away. Not a steam pro., but knowledgeable. Give him a shout out.

In the meantime -- was the new boiler properly skimmed? if not, that might be a good place to start. Then all the near boiler piping -- pictures would be helpful. And, as you are doing, the pitch of all the pipes...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Pictures of the boiler and piping. Stand back so we can see. In the meantime dig out the boiler manual and find the piping diagram see if the installer followed it.

Did the installer skim the boiler
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,694
    I'm going to be really curious about the size also. Do you know what your size of radiation in your house (expressed as EDR or sq ft of radiation)?

I would say unless you can get a contractor from this site's "Find a contractor" tool, don't trust anyone else.

What is leading you to want to change your air vents? Do you know the condition and/or presence of any main vents in your basement?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • kenlmad
    kenlmad Member Posts: 56
    Did the installer complete this important cleaning process described in the installation manual?

ethicalpaul
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I'm going to guess that a contractor who left it at 3 PSI didn't skim the boiler....just a guess.

Skimming is something you can do yourself as long as they left a skim port, and even if they did not, with the boiler being so new, it should not be too difficult to get that particular plug out and install a skim port. Pictures will tell us if you have a skim port, and also more importantly whether the boiler is piped correctly.
    ethicalpaul
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    @Jamie Hall Thanks for the compliment.
  • Bronxtech
    Bronxtech Member Posts: 18
    Are all the air vents on main lines replaced/ new ? Does water in glass bounce like heck?
    Were  return lines flushed ??
    All steam lines insulated ? Not bare steel ! ?
    All radiator valves fully open, not partially.
    Pitch radiators, replace defective air vents.
    Skim boiler ,and leave in chemical.

• GriffinSM
    GriffinSM Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for the comments. I am processing them, and will respond  with pictures soon. No to many of your questions. Working on the remedies.