Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Filter install

MikeG
MikeG Member Posts: 169
Is it me or do others have issues with fittings into whole house water filters. I’ve installed two of them in my two sons homes. I had leaks on both of them on the threaded fittings. I use Teflon tape as directed, trying not to overtighten but still had small drips. I can sweat fittings all day but threaded fittings give me fits. Is it the quality of the threads? I always check take nipple or other fitting for good threads. The filter housings are some type of poly or non metallic composite. I have not found any that have a metallic insert already installed. I do add Teflon paste also. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Plastic or Metal?
  • MikeG
    The housing and female threads are some type of plastic or poly. You have to be real careful to not us too much tape or it is hard to start the threads with the male fitting without cross threading. I could not find a whole house filter with a metal female insert formed into the housing.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    On the housings with the plastic threads, I use a combination of pipe dope and tape. I use Megaloc dope and Monster tape, and will wind like five wraps of tape on the threads. Also, if I can, I will put a union on so if it doesn't seal up, I can re-do it. I hate plastic female threads,so if you can find them, get the ones with stainless inserts. But for some reason, they are very difficult to find.
    Rick
    hcpatel78
  • MikeG
    Rick, That is exactly what I use. Maybe didn’t use enough turns of tape. I did not put in a union like I usually do, so when I take it apart I will. I generally use the bronze unions because I have had issues with the copper ones. This was a add a whole house filter before a new softener so I used a Sharkbite fitting to the existing copper. Not a problem undoing it right now. We have more upgrades planned in the future so that’s why I used the push fitting. Thanks. Mike
  • pecmsg
    Plastic fittings NO Teflon Tape!

regular pipe dope. Hand tight 3/4 to 1 full turn is usually all that's needed.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    And they are really easy to overtighten...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    pecmsgkcopp
  • MikeG
    The directions specify pipe tape. They warn against pipe dope that has any petroleum product that could degrade the housing.
    mattmia2hot_rod
  • pecmsg
    MikeG said:
    The directions specify pipe tape. They warn against pipe dope that has any petroleum product that could degrade the housing.
    So how has that worked out?
    Robert_25
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Stay back a thread or 2 when you wrap the tape so you can start it properly. Could always break out the single strand wicking too.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    @MikeG As @mattmia2 says above.
    Also, Wrap the [white] Teflon tape clockwise (I use six Wraps "Tightly") around the threads leaving the first two threads without Teflon tape.
    Then I screw the threads of the entire fitting into the head of the filter head housing. And I mean all the way up to the flats of the male adapter.
    Most often the head will expand while tightening and not leak and not crack. I must have done a few hundred this way with little to no leaks.
    And be very careful not to cross-thread when starting this fit. It's a reason why, as mentioned before, to leave the first two threads with no Teflon on them. It makes it so much easier to start the threads.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    You can also turn the threads counter clockwise until you feel the fitting drop down when the ends of the threads line up, then turn it clockwise and the threads will be already aligned and a lot less likely to cross thread.
    Intplm.rick in Alaska
  • MikeG
    Thanks. That makes sense. I’ll give that a try with the tape. It is easy to get it cross threaded with tape all the way on the end. Mike
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    Often, we'll start with single strand ball / string wicking for this type of connection - wrapped tightly clockwise with several layers of quality Teflon tape on top of it.....
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    I have had the same issue on multiple filter housings. My current recipe for success is: 3 wraps of Blue Monster tape, a skim of Leak Lock thread compound, hand tight + 1/2 turn.

I just installed a "big blue" sediment filter in my own home yesterday due to some sediment chewing up the seals in my Fleck 2510 back-washing filter.
  • Willaimsres
    Willaimsres Member Posts: 1
    You're not alone, Mike! Leaky threaded fittings on whole-house filters are a common complaint. Here are some thoughts:
    • Quality matters: Check for burrs or imperfections on the threads, even if they look good. Invest in high-quality fittings if possible.
    • Teflon trick: Wrap the tape in the direction of tightening (clockwise) and only use enough to fill the gaps, not smother the threads.
    • Seal the deal: Try using both Teflon tape and paste for extra security. Some prefer hemp over tape for plastic threads.
    • Torque it right: Overtightening can crack plastic housings. Use a wrench and tighten snugly, but not gorilla-style.
    • Check the taper: Make sure the threads are tapered correctly for a tight seal.
    • Double-check direction: Double-check the water flow direction and ensure fittings are facing the right way.
    • Consider alternatives: Some filters offer push-fit or compression connections, which might be easier for you.
    Remember, safety first! If you're not confident, consult a plumber. Good luck!