Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Help Evaluating Quote

Options
2»

Comments

• josephny
    josephny Member Posts: 270
    Options
    pecmsg said:

josephny said:

Basement is not included in the 4500 sq-ft total.

Basement has insulated walls and concrete slab with no insulation under it.

I don't understand about the Bosch recommendation. It is the same technology as the LG, right?

Better..... they use Mitsubishi tech and compressors. Mitsubishi developed Inverter technology and is considered the leader in the field!

BOSCH only has 2 units 1-3 tons and 3-5 tons. Once set up The suction pressure and temperature determine how fast the compressor has to operate.

For your basement you can use the LG and a separate dehumidifier. Basements require heating while the upstairs require cooling.
    I feel like I'm getting more confused and not less.

My understanding is that the basement does not need any conditioning. It is not habitable space -- used for mechanicals and storage. But it is in the envelope. As such, it does not need to be comfortable, just reasonable.

But what does that have to do with Bosch vs. LG?

My issue is not the brand (yet) but what technology to use.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,880
    Options
    I assumed the basement was finished.

I prefer BOSCH but Im no there and I cant see it.

The technology is called Inverter Compressors. A basic Heat Pump starts and stops according to the t-stat control. Inverters ramp up and down according to the onboard computer and the information it receives from several points. In extremes cold it can actually ramp up to 140+% of its normal rating.

As I stated earlier Mitsubishi developed this technology 30 or 40 years ago and have been a leader in it since.

Get the sizing down first.

Heat pumps are good for 3/4 of the heating season but have limitations for full heating. Why I recommend a Aux heat source
  • josephny
    Options
    Does the contractor's explanation make sense:

The system he proposes "isn’t a crazy amount oversized but it definitely is over about 18K BTU. The issue is you still need a certain amount of cfm to deliver the air throughout the entire floors. The 36k BTU units also modulate down to roughly 18,200 BTU and the 24k unit modulates down to around 8,000 btu’s"

• josephny
    Options
    Sure would appreciate hearing if this makes sense.

Or if I should go with radiant and/or an air handler with water coil all fed from an LP boiler.

Thank you!