Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler treatment

Hello, I just installed a new boiler and I am looking for boiler treatment for the PH level. I tested the water and it is 4 on PH

Comments

• ReggieC123
    ReggieC123 Member Posts: 1
    Oh, this is a steam boiler.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    That is a really low PH. Was something added to this water? It should be about 7 coming out of the tap.

You can raise it with Rectorseal 8-way treatment. But just add a little at a time and see how it affects the PH. Don't follow the directions. Get it up to 10 or 11.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • ReggieC123
    Thank You!
  • ReggieC123
    No I did not add any thing, but I will ask the contractor.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722

No I did not add any thing, but I will ask the contractor.

I would suggest you get familiar with treating the water yourself. My understand there are very few that recommend or even do it. There are several of us on here that treat the water, for me the boiler size doesn't matter, it's a major investment and I want it to last as long as possible.

Also, you need a place to add the treatment, if the installer didn't pipe in a convenient place then you may have to add something.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    ethicalpaulChrisJ
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,176
    On that low pH -- just as a comment, there are many water wells in some parts of the country which will be that low -- or even lower.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Canucker
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    KC_Jones said “I would suggest you get familiar with treating the water yourself. My understand there are very few that recommend or even do it. There are several of us on here that treat the water, for me the boiler size doesn't matter, it's a major investment and I want it to last as long as possible. Also, you need a place to add the treatment, if the installer didn't pipe in a convenient place then you may have to add something.
    Agree with @KC_Jones; I piped in a .4 gallon pox mixer for my system. Only wish I’d made it a bit bigger so I could add a gallon in two shots!