Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amtrol Champion boiler leaking from top plate.

kmrb
kmrb Member Posts: 1
edited February 2021 in Domestic Hot Water

How do I fix this.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I can't see the leak -- but I can say that if it's leaking from where a fitting is threaded in, it may be possible to remove the fitting, clean up the threads, and reinstall it.

On the other hand, if the leak is from the joint between the top and the body, it's toast.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kmrb
    It's leaking from the plate that is bolted down on top. It's only6 or 7 yrs old.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Try snugging up the bolts. If that doesn't fix it contact Amtrol for a replacement gasket/warranty information.

Now to cut unions in above all those press fittings
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776

Try snugging up the bolts. If that doesn't fix it contact Amtrol for a replacement gasket/warranty information.

Now to cut unions in above all those press fittings

They should have been Pro Press Unions!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Sorry. Didn't realise that the top plate on those is bolted on. Give @EBEBRATT-Ed 's approach a shot -- he's usually right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kmrb
    Thank you for all the help! Unfortunately the tech said it's gotta be replaced. Apparently the water in my town is the problem. He said he's replaced 6 in my area because of the same thing. It's not the heater itself so whatever I replace it with will end up with the same problem. Have any of you dealt with that?
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    What's the problem with your water? This could dictate what kind of unit to replace with.
    kcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @kmrb

maybe you need a second opinion. your picture shown nothing leaking
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, I'd be tempted to remove the top and actually see what's going bad. From there, clean it up if possible and use new gasket and sealant to put it back together. I'm guessing that done right, the gasket would seal directly against the HDPE liner and that would be very good for keeping the metal tank dry.

Yours, Larry